Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you crawling your way to Christmas holidays?

Options
  • 01-12-2023 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Mariah Carey melting from ice the day after Halloween has got people talking so soon about Christmas this year.

Im not a big one for decorating etc but I enjoy the Christmas holidays. This year feels like such a drag to the holidays. How are you motivating yourself to get up each day and not fall into that holiday feeling opening biscuit tins, drinks and late nights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I can't believe it's December already. Sept -Nov flew. I need to start preparing for Xmas now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The second half of the year has flown by, definitely, life is flying by….how is it December already…? How is it almost 2024 already..? 👀

keeping busy mostly… so not focused on the holidays yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

I'm not sure why, but this happens every year.

Suddenly its December and Christmas is on top of us.

Looking forward to a break from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The Christmas holidays?

I only get a few days off, so not sure it qualifies as a holiday 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

My last job we only closed Xmas day. Now I’m off for two weeks at Xmas . It’s my second year at this and I’m still feeling like wow from it!! I should have changed years ago . Xmas used to be a pain now it’s a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Working through xmas for first time, thankfully.

I'd rather take my hols when the weather isn't shít and everything's closed. I don't really get why people get so wound up about this festival of conspicuous consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Declan05

I want the time between now and the 26th to go as quickly as possible and once all the hurly burly of presents and Christmas dinner is over I want time to slow down and then enjoy the rest of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Can’t wait for the break, seems like the grind has got ‘grinder’ in the past few years…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I have Xmas, Stephen’s Day, 27th and 28th December off this year. I’m looking forward to making the most of the time off with my OH and with the dog, I can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm looking forward to xmas like Nicolae Ceaușescu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What about the rest and recuperation aspect of Christmas, sitting in stillness and silence, we're ment to hibernate a bit at this time of year before my husband retired from a very stressful job crawling to Christmas was an apt description.

I'm listening to an Indy alternative Christmas playlist, it's Christmas without the glitz and very mellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Similar, I worked for 10 years in retail (marketing), so I would generally finish on Christmas Eve, then back in on Stephen's Day. It was horrible in the run-up to Christmas as there was so much advertising to get done - I would be working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day from the last week in November up to the second week in December.

I'm about 10 years out of retail now and I get around 10-12 days off for Christmas and I still greatly appreciate it. I don't think I could go ever back to retail and the **** Christmas break... I remember my mates all heading out on the 26th and I couldn't because I was in work the next day. Only when I stopped doing it did I realise how much I actually needed the Christmas break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I like it as its the only time in the year when everyone is off together, people are relaxed from holidays and willing to socialize all at the same time. Friends from abroad are home. It would be nicer if it happened in the summer with nice weather but can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lecter8319

Its caught up on me, cant believe its the 5th already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

It’s a tough time in retail, and retail is tough as is. Missed out on seeing family over it year after year. I’d imagine few years down the line I’ll still be like wow time off !!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I work in academia and have from the 21st until the 4th January off for Christmas. Really appreciate the break and I feel sorry for those working in retail who have practically zero time off over the festive season.

My OH and myself will be going away to Malta for 9 days for Xmas and the New Year. No extended family to worry about having to buy presents for which suits us just fine.

The one thing I do really make an effort with in the run up to Christmas is writing and sending cards to family and friends. About 50 to send this year.

Got our 8 foot pop-up skinny tree up last night - just 20 min and all done!

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 34 reactadabtc

I've my longest leave ever this year, I'm from the 11th to the 4th Jan. I'm going to drink every single day and I can't wait!

Advertisement