Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I preferred their early stuff

Options
  • 30-11-2023 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

What a tosspot thing to say, however..... it's an anonymous forum, so you can get away with saying it here. Obviously this is not for bands who started well and then waned. If you preferred the first 3 smashing pumpkins albums, well that's just normal - everyone did!

For me the one that stands out is Fleetwood Mac. They were a very different band with Peter Green and in my view much better! I just don't love the rumours / tusk / etc stuff. I do like it, but compared to the Peter Green years they went from being truly great to decent but interesting.

How the question started was actually talking about Coldplay where I defended the first album. It's actually an excellent album. But while their popularity only grew, I doubt many would say that they got better after that first release. Trying to think of others, I think more and more that bands tend to bring out their best stuff in their first few albums and the recognition goes with them. But do many here think the early Nick Cave years were his finest? That those first Chilli Pepper albums had an energy to them that the later albums lacked? Or that Pink Floyd under Syd Barrett were the best version of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

All IMHO but

My favourite Pink Floyd album is Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

Coldplay - think the second album is better than the first.

Roxy Music - their debut is better than all their subsequent records although Avalon comes close.

Fleetwood Mac - have distinct eras so difficult to compare. Tusk is my favourite album of all time by anyone.

Early Nick Cave - no. Don't think he hit his stride until Your Funeral, My Trial.

Red Hot Chili Peppers early albums are full of filler. They didn't click until Mother's Milk.

The Smiths' debut album is significantly weaker than the other three.

New Order's Movement is one of the worst records I have ever heard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

GnFnR fell off at Spaghetti Incident. I didn't get into Chinese Democracy when it first came out but a relisting and it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rpirl

The Cardigans might be a good example... stuff like 'My Favourite Game' and 'Erase / Rewind' were okay at the time but would only really listen to the earlier stuff these days

Seems Americans only know the later stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Max H

U2, early stuff brilliant, late stuff awful

Beatles the same

Spandau Ballet the same

and definitely The Human League

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well smashing pumpkins, obvs!

Aerosmith, love their 70s stuff, nowadays? Meh

• Advertisement

Heard Hanging Around on a Forgotten '90s playlist recently and was surprised how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kendrick Lamar - Has completely sold out now - OD and Section 80 were unbelievable

Eminem - No explanation needed. When things like Love The Way You Lie started coming out it fell apart

Arctic Monkeys - In fairness they’ve changed things up and I’m just not into them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Kings of Leon come to mind. Their early stuff was excellent... then when they became trendy, not so much.

Same can be said for Muse

All IMHO

U2 - not sure. Peaked with The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby & Zooropa. Pop was the last classic. Mixed returns after 2000.

Beatles - my favourite four Beatles albums are Sgt Pepper, Let It Be, White Album & Abbey Road - so definitely think later was better

Spandau Ballet - agree, first two albums were best

Human League - last good album was Hysteria, hit and miss after that although 1990's Heart Like A Wheel and 1995's One Man In My Heart are bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

The Rolling Stones could have stopped after Exile on Main St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The Beatles? They are an incredibly rare example of a band that got better as they went and arguably split up at their peak, Abbey Road was the last album they recorded and imo the best. Their very early stuff is actually a bit rubbish for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'd pick Rubber Soul over a lot of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Never got into Radiohead's post ok computer output.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

completely agree about U2. Its like adam clayton forgot how to play the bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

First band I thought about when I read the original post. Seen them live twice during the first 3 albums. Unreal live.

Totally gone off them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it wasn't clayton who was to blame for u2's slump. the songwriting got cliched and bono basically ran out of things to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"bono basically ran out of things to say"

Hasn't stopped him talking sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Oasis, first 3 albums are classics, what followed is total horse sh1t bar 1 or 2 songs eg ‘Stop crying your heart out’.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's the human brain , that's how it works , you cannot write in your 50s like you can in your 20s

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Killers went very downhill after ‘Day and Age’. Again 3 very good albums what follows is mostly turtle turds.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭antfin

Green Day have never hit the same heights as their first few albums.

In fairness to lenny, the newer music is fairly basic and isn't pushing musical boundaries like a band such as radiohead

More of a vehicle to carry his words, his early stuff however was more musical and did push boundaries which proves my point

Depends what you mean by newer stuff. You said "in their 50s" which is when he is releasing Various Positions, I'm Your Man and The Future which have some of his best work.

My time line is off relating to lenny , and I'm specifically talking about bands that have high expectations after their first few albums but cannot keep it up because the hunger isn't there and cannot return

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kid A blew me away when it came out. It's what started me into the world of electronic music, was exclusively listening to rock before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

This is case for almost every band, no? Off the top of my head, The Brian Jonestown Massacre are the only band I can think of that have maintained the same quality of songwriting for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose the thing is, what's their 'new' stuff today is their 'early stuff' tomorrow if they go on long enough. 😁

I absolutely love Rush with their peak for me being the period of albums from 2112 through to Permanent Waves. In my mind I've always considered that their 'earlier stuff', but they've three albums before 2112.

I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan from their first album up to The Fragile. Some of my favourite music ever. Then it drops off an absolute cliff for me and I can't listen to a lot albums that came after.

I went to one of their gigs in The Netherlands a few years back and it was mostly 'new' stuff to me. But my missus didn't start listening to them until some of that new stuff, so to her the new stuff was 'old stuff'.

All very confusing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah stones released some great songs after exile but couldn’t cobble them together to make any more great albums…

Oasis first two are great and thought at the time Be Here Now didn’t deserve the flack but in fairness it hasn’t aged well, not terrible but I think the biggest fûck up of that release are some of the stone cold brilliant tracks that ended up as b-sides that the didn’t put on that album…

Step Out, Going Nowhere, The Fame, Angel Child, I got The Fever…..

They had the songs but not the leadership, focus, decision making or whatever else to cobble together the best 10/11 songs on the one record…. Girl In the Dirty shirt is a dogshît track…I Hope I Think I Know, Magic Pie all could have been lost….

Advertisement