Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McGowan RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ah God !

Rainy night in Soho

Broad Majestic Shannon

Pair of Brown Eyes

The Old Man Drag

And they better not censor Fairytail of New York this Christmas

What an absolute legend and hero. Hard to hear myself saying that, but yeah, it's true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Threads merged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i thought it was about alcoholism and whiskey!

'you are the measure of my dreams'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ex band member from the Nips or whatever they were called apparently.

Although I imagine there is drinking references in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I thought he died years ago. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah poor Shane.. RIP.

He was a gentle funny person.

Now as SBW said they'd better play Fairytale of New York this Christmas!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you listen to it with the assumption it's about whiskey, it does make sense too; 'Sometimes I'd wake up in the morning/The ginger lady by my bed/Covered in a cloak of silence/I'd hear you talking in my head'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

i saw at the weekend they'd just let him out of hospital

sad day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭PGE1970

A Rainy Night in Soho was our wedding song.

"You're the measure of my dreams" - was there a greater line ever written?

RIP Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Only saw him twice live.

First time in London, mid to late 90's in Camden. Magical night, coming up to Christmas. Band were great and Kirsty McCall came on stage for Fairytale at the end.

Second time was maybe 10 years later at a Nick Cave gig where he came out for a couple of songs. He seemed blind drunk, stumbling and slurring. Could barely stand much less sing but everyone was cheering and saying what a legend he was.

Never sat right with me, he looked like an alcoholic desperately in need of help but everyone around him was celebrating his drunkenness. and I don't know how helpful that would be.

Anyway RIP .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

Just listening to some audio now on radio, and might not necessarily be the time, but was he not a tragic figure all the same? He is acknowledged by many of the greats as a truly great songwriter (From Christy Moore to Liam Clancy and even Bruce Springsteen) but one would wonder how all that alcohol affected his brain?

Even at the height of his prowess he often appeared barely coherent and seemed to need to be intoxicated to even appear, let alone perform, in public, such was his crushing level of shyness.

But for the last twenty years, or more, he has appeared a truly tragic figure with health ravaged by alcohol abuse and a brain seemingly so pickled by it that he appeared barely able to string together even a single coherent sentence (let alone continue the great songwriting output on which he rightly built his reputation).

All credit incidentally due to the truly heroic and devoted Victoria Mary Clarke who loyally stood by his side down all the years right from the beginnings and in recent years also was his voice.

RIP Shane and thanks for the wonderful songs, even at the huge personal cost it took for you to create them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

being married to a critical care nurse I was warned that was "a last bit of comfort at home" release. Quite possibly the band (or versions of) that I've seen live the most times. Some genius lyrics that will last forever. . .

RIP Shane

Sickbed and Body of an American will be on repeat here for a while 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

A friend of mine used to work in Filthy's. He spoke about the weekenders that Shane would go on with Oliver Reed and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Not one of his but hes left a legacy of great songs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Greatest song lyricist we ever had, and one of the greatest ever. No question about that.

He hit a huge nerve with me when I emigrated in the late 1980's when there was no other option going. Seemed to be one of the very few people who understood us.

And still one of the best bands I've ever seen live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

We had Fairytale of New York - Even though it was August 😁

RIP Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

RIP, Shane.

I remember him as a very young chap, visiting North Tipperary in the same parish I grew up in. Regrettably I never had the pleasure of actually meeting him in person. I always loved his lyrics and his unique style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Sat opposite him about 30 years ago on the last train out of Hueston bound for Thurles on a cold Christmas Eve.

My husband and I were sitting in a near empty carriage when he got in at the last minute and sat across the aisle from us. He had a bag into which he appeared to have emptied the contents of a hotel mini bar which he proceeded to consume steadily until we all got off in Thurles.

A hardy man.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

**** Legend will never be forgotten for his contribution to Irish music. RiP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RIP Shane. Thanks for the memories.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Apart from the usual Pogues stuff, I always return to this video of him and Christy Moore when he was obviously fcukedd, but still pure gold

• Registered Users Posts: 15,022 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Growing up in the 80s The Pouges were really popular, we used to listen to their tapes endlessly.

A great man to sing other people's songs too.

His versions of "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and "Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway" are brilliant.

Even though he is probably the least Christmasee person going, but because of Fairytale Of New York and the fact he was born on Christmas day and now that he has died this time of year I will always associate him with Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Miniegg

Ahh Shane Mcgowan. He was a genius. He took all the different genres of music he grew up with and turned them with into something new, exciting and yet very natural, with lyrics that were totally different to anything around at the time.

In his height, the good nature people showed toward him in spite of his flaws, embodied the general good nature people around the world showed the Irish in spite of our flaws.

It was very sad how helpless he was with drink and drugs. Despite all of his wonderful songs, we only got to see a glimpse of his genius before it was overcome. Truly unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

My second favourite Christmas song. Glad he got to benefit from it over the years.

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Photobox

Its for nostalgic reasons. Was a teen when this was released. Reminds me of happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

This is a really beautiful duet with Moya Brennan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwX2ftzmXuc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Always reminds me of an English ex girlfriend that I lived with in London. Many a late night into morning spent in rainy Soho.

She hated The Pogues too 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He looked very ill in his most recent photo in the papers earlier in the week-when released from hospital

Rest in Peace- a great legacy of music and songs for us all to enjoy in the years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

I saw Shane and The Popes playing Eamon Dorans around 2001. We got pulled over in Rathmines on the way in...told the garda where we were going who then said you better hurry up lads. They swaggered on stage around midnight. Up the front was just bedlam. One of the best gigs I've ever been to and I've been to hundreds.

Now you'll sing a song of liberty for blacks and paks and jocks

And they'll take you from this dump you're in and stick you in a box

Then they'll take you to Cloughprior and shove you in the ground

But you'll stick your head back out and shout "We'll have another round"

Really sadden to hear this. He was some character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

One of my favourite renditions of Cole porter songs by the Pogues along with the great Kirsty McColl RIP on the Red Hot and Blue charity album

Advertisement