Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Share - Working out the financials

Options
  • 30-11-2023 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about going on a job share next year to mind our small children. I know that wages would be halved but who would be best to talk to about managing tax credits? my partner is also a teacher but is further along the pay scale than I am.

working it out, the cost of childcare would be half the amount of wages I would be losing every two weeks so the impact of transferring my tax credits to my partner or indeed holding on to them to use on my half wages would dictate if it was to be financially viable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

As a rough rule of thumb, job share will leave you with about 60% of your net wage from where you are now, as you will be taken out of the tax bracket and pay less USC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Are you primary or secondary? If secondary, talk to your principal about what your timetable might look like. I know people with 4 bitty days, so still paying almost full childcare. Others have 2 and a 1/2 days, so a different scenario entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Also pension implications.

Talk to financial advisor who deals with teachers.

Never heard of a teacher in secondary who got a proper half week. Maybe mornings off if it's a long commute or childcare issues... and you're an Irish teacher who has a good hand to bargain with 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Cornmarket will get a call

from me.

secondary teaching so understand the timetable but principal & school very accommodating in general

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

You should look at your school's job share policy as it may state that you will be timetabled over the 5 days. You will be depending on the goodwill of senior management to block your classes but there is no guarantee as the needs of the students come first. Job share works best if you don't have a long commute as you could find youself in for just one class. especially if your school does hour long classes, as is becoming the norm. You will have to do 16.5 Croke Park hours which you should agree with senior management at the start of the year. You are required to attend all the inservice days so if there's junior cycle training etc on a day you normally have one class, you're expected to do the full day's training. Your salary won't be halved, as another poster pointed out. If you are keeping your POR, if you have one, you will be expected to fulfill the duties as you would if you were fulltime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

Also in terms of pension, a job share year is regarded as one year for reckoning of service but half a year for reckoning of pension.

Take anything a principal says with a big tub of salt. Unless they're your father or uncle or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Put your projected salary and your spouse salary into this calculator to see what your new take home pay would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There are teachers in my school doing a 3 day week, usually Monday, Wednesday, Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

we have a few doing monfday/tuesday/wednesday tbf.

i'd be looking for monday/wednesday/thursday then

Advertisement