Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Rip Offs….

Options
  • 30-11-2023 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,809 ✭✭✭✭

A certain pub on Stephen St in Dublin…

Bangers & Mash - 18 Euros 😅 & a lot of pints 7 euros.

its a honkey tonk rough and tumble style place, there as long as I can remember. No higher than basic levels of comfort.

Ive been eating in it since my 20’s… never cheap but I just had a look see to gauge what sort of money it might cost for a meal… bangers and mash and say two pints 32 euros plus tip so nearly 40 quid for a basic one course meal in a pub and two drinks…. Seriously…… fkkkkkkk

bangers and mash… the ingredients must cost about 4/5 euros tops… yes there are other costs to consider and a profit margin but fûck me… 18 euros for a couple of sausages and probably the equivalent of 2 potatoes and a bit of gravy..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Café

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In case anybody is curious, and is picturing a paper cup from maxol...

If you are not in the mood for a pâtisserie or a viennoiserie, might I suggest the delectable Hot Chocolate? I must confess I did not expect to receive such a beautifully laid out dish with so many great toppings when I ordered it, so I was pleasantly surprised when this arrived at my table.

It tasted fantastic, and the added art was a cute touch (fun fact: Bewley’s were the first company in Ireland to introduce latte art - I appreciate that. Yes. More art, my friends).

In case it wasn’t clear, I sincerely believe Bewley’s is worth a visit from a historical, architectural, and culinarily delightful standpoint. At least, I adore it. Maybe I’m biased because I love chocolate, but then again, a vast many of us do, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the picture is what you get for €8.40, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That is like something written on Chat GTP. What the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Take away the presentation…. The actual content of the cup… add a couple of marshmallows, sugar… the cost might be what..€1.50 but the client is charged 8.40….

found on trip advisor an actual photo of the 18 euros bangers and mash…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is this another silly thread where posters think the only cost associated with food in a restaurant, is the cost of the ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

The OP specifically says

yes there are other costs to consider and a profit margin

so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bewleys is a bit of a tourist trap and always has been so not shocked at the price, as you say it's not something in a paper cup either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭combat14

if OP ditched the 25% tip and chose 1 pint instead of 2

the cost would be a still pricey but more managble 25 yoyos for sausages, spud and sauce

after that there is always mcdonalds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t understand the issue. He has been eating there for several years, why complain now?

Is this some kind of puzzle?

How about if the OP went place else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Who gives a 25% tip for a meal in a pub?

Giving a 25% tip and then complaining that the price is too much is strange.

And yet, there it is, so yes, it would appear the other costs are not worth mentioning.

“Take away the presentation…. The actual content of the cup… add a couple of marshmallows, sugar… the cost might be what..€1.50 but the client is charged 8.40….”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

They've already said in the first post there are other costs involved. That posts just outlines the difference between cost to produce and the price charged. It doesn't say what he/she thinks should be charged, so again no.

That sound, it is the penny dropping.

What is the cost of production?

A pub, a nice pub in Batterstown Co Meath… a slice of apple tart, €8.

food / service / comfort and ambiance / atmosphere is 10/10 but for a rural pub to be charging probably more than they paid for the entire apple tart, just for a slice of cake that comes with a dash or scoop of cream / ice cream…. It’s a piss take quite frankly. I had to check their website to ensure I’m not misremembering it, I’m not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what is the name of it? I don't understand why people do not reveal names, like they are worried about being sued or something! you seem to be saying the website clearly states the price so they obviously have no issue with people mentioning them and their prices. i.e. there is NO "naming and shaming".

I am always interested to see other prices on the menu, to see if this is some anomaly. If people are not revealing the names I always think they are trying to hide something themselves.

I see one pub Cafferys but cannot see a website.

its Caffreys of Batterstown… Im a big fan of the actual pub itself, service and staff and comfort and ambiance is A1+ but unfortunately the prices are a little too steep. Can’t find a dessert menu with prices online now but confirmed earlier with my cousin who I was there with, that was indeed the price.

why would you think someone would be trying to ‘hide’ something? :)

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Did you leave the tip under the plate then? :-)

On a slightly connected theme, apparently in the US having a ripoff meal is no excuse for not leaving a tip.

I got out of the habit of leaving tips when working away, it seemed unfair to use company cash to treat strangers and I certainly wasn't going to use my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Was not in one of them dives since Covid started ... sour bar staff lording it over the rest of us ... closing any time they feel like ... overcharging us for pints of beer we can get for a quarter of the price in Tesco et al ... I'd rather spend a year with the Taliban than go to one of these dives now ... am awake to what pubs really are since March 2020 ... thanks Covid!! ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I don't care how prettily its presented, €8.40 for that is a total rip off. I simply wouldn't give them the business.

This is what my cupboard hot chocolate ingredients cost from Aldi:

Cocoa Powder = €1.99 / Granulated Sugar (or Sucralose alternative for me) = €1.75 / Milk (2 Lt) = €2.09 / Vanilla Extract = €1.69 / Whipped Cream = €1.79 / Pink & Whites Mini Marshmallows 180g = €1.69

Total = €11.00 for the makings of at least 4 x 16oz large hot chocolates (equivalent to Starbucks Venti) and plenty left over for more - just buy more milk and cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The 2 glass's of water were good value!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

McDonald's and BK etc are the biggest rip off going these days. €10 for a breakfast in McDs, €12 for a meal in BK and you are still hungry after. Go to a chipper and spend €12 you'll be stuffed.

Unless you give them your life history to use the app they are a complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

:) your giving out about prices and giving nearly €8 tip on €32 haha

But I agree pubs are very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

But the additional associated cost for every single ingredient should be miniscule, as they sell alot of them, if you understand what I mean

You cant go increasing the cost, for example of every cup of coffee, by 50cent due to inflation etc I think this is where people get pissed off, inflation goes up then the price of everything goes up  extortionately in restaurants / shops / pubs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'd have though temple bar already in over €10

What type of inflation are you referring to?

Is it inflation in rent, rates, insurance, wages, VAT increases, food supplies, utilities etc? Surely you are not going by consumer price inflation and assigning that as a guide? Do you think the other costs I mentioned are restricted by consumer price indices?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In what world are you spending €10 on a McDonalds Breakfast?

Sausage & Egg McMuffin Meal (incl. Coffee and Hash Brown) is €5.10 or so. That's very filling as it is and comes in at 550 Calories which is well enough for a Breakfast.

If you wanted, you can get a Bacon Roll for €3 easily (almost on offer daily) making your Breakfast just over €8 and a cool 882 Calories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The same one you are in. Last breakfast I got was €9.85, no idea what it was but it definitely wasn't worth it.

Advertisement