Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a value on flexi time

Options
  • 30-11-2023 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I am happy in my job but have been approached by a company offering a 30% pay rise which is quite substantial. However, one of the big benefits of my current role is flexi time. I can take 1 flexi day per month with my current employer so 12 extra days holidays a year.

I’m just wondering is there any set way to put a value on these flexi days? Whilst I am essentially working the time for these days, it is quite easy to do so by just logging into work ten minutes early and taking a half hour lunch instead of the full hour etc. therefore I’m not even noticing it.

The new role will be a big change in leave entitlement because I will be losing these 12 flexi days plus an additional 2 days holidays so in essence 14 days leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Your current flexi arrangement sounds similar to the civil service

If moving from government to private sector then potentially you are decreasing job security?

In fairness 20% pay rise is enough to get most to move jobs so it must be sore tempting at 30. Are all other factors the same? Pension contribution? Defined benefit vs defined contribution? How do the healthcare packages compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭AyeGer

What is more important to you, the days off or the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

52 weeks in a year x 5 working days is 260 days

Less 20 days holidays

Less 10 or so public and bank holidays

Leaves 230 working days per year or thereabouts

You are adding 14 days or about 6 % extra days for a 30% increase in pay, ignoring the fact you have to do extra time to get those 14 days anyway.

So financially, you are definitely up and getting a good deal

Now, what nobody can answer only you is what those 14 extra days of freedom or whatever are worth to you. No mathematics can answer that.

What do you do with your time off, do you use it wisely?

What would you do with the extra pay? Remember it will be cut in half by taxation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Get Real

I'm not in a salaried role but my advice would be, consider sacrificing the Flexi days for whatever your salary is now + a premium.

For example, if you're currently on 40k a year and work 48weeks a year. You're working 240 (48x5) days a year for 40,000=166 a day.

You'll be giving up 14 days. So 14x166= €2324. But if you're gaining a 30% rise you're gaining 12,000 a year. You just have to question if that's worth it to you a year?

This applies whether you earn 40k or 100k a year. Naturally, it may not be worth it in terms of workload, commute etc which are separate factors.

But at the minute, you're being offered a job that more than compensates for the lost work days on a pro rata basis. Only you can decide how much mon monetary value you place on those 14 days.

Edit: I posted and while typing Buddy Bubs has said very similar. I agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Salary increases/promotions are much harder, rarer to get than flexi-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Do you get a Flexi day every 4 weeks? If so it's 13 Flexi days in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Tork

I worked in a place that took on a couple of people who had had more leave in their previous job. The pay and prospects were better in their new job but for as long as I was there, they never stopped going on about the leave they'd lost. It depends which you value most and that's a decision for you alone. Do you know if the other employer gives staff more leave as time goes on?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Is the 'flexi' days addtional holidays, ie, nobody expects you to do any work, or be reachable? Or is there an expectation that work needs to be done but flexibility in terms of what hours are being worked?

It reads that the flexi days are treated as days off, which is interesting.

EDIT: ah. read up on it. looks like instead of working say 8 hours a day 5 days a week, the workday is a bit longer (30-40 min or so), and instead of getting paid overtime, one gets the time off.

If that's the case, then it really depends how much of a stickler for the exact hours the new job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I agree, In fact I dont think it is flexitime as generally understood:

Flexitime, sometimes also called flextime, is a working schedule which allows employees to choose when to start and end their workday, and/or how long to take their break for, within agreed limits set by management.

OP:

it is quite easy to do so by just logging into work ten minutes early and taking a half hour lunch instead of the full hour etc. therefore I’m not even noticing it.

This looks like its all down to the OP, so wet day, work lunch, sunny day don't, or similar.

Login 10 minutes early, maybe 15, who knows/cares?

My guess is that the OP will earn the extra mula, with more managerial oversight.

this link is insightful

OP says he will be losing the 12 days, but he will also be working 84-96 less hours

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

One question I have is-

How many of these flexi days go to waste? ie sleep in, watch TV all day, generally arse around?

It’s great to have loads of days leave per annum but sometimes I find you can waste days off or take days off when you don’t really have a need to.

Having less leave days helps you plan and decide how you’re going to use this time well- ie city break, holiday etc

I imagine you don’t waste all your leave days but some of them are probably non events and wouldn’t have stressed you to work that day- just food for thought- I’d take more pay for less leave days everything else being equal between the two job roles

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What kind of flexibility will you have in your new role? WFH or office based or what? Depending on the environment, culture, line manager, you may end up with an informal version of flexi time, with no one watching your arrival or departure time, once you get the job done. This is a different kind of flexi, and doesn't amount to full days off, but it is a significant benefit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tamara25

If you are a single person flexi time is not as important to you as someone who has a family., for me personally I would find it very hard to give up flexi. In fact I would even take more pay cuts to get even more time off work. The less time I’m in there the better…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's always been a worry that so many were able to work the extra hours each month with such consistency.

Sometimes people would just sit there for an extra hour or two on a Monday or Tuesday with no real oversight or rationale and then present their manager with a request for an additional day and a half off per month when they might actually be needed.

Flexi as a way of working a bit later some days, leaving early another is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

This is true. Depends on your seniority in several jobs I've had.

I can pretty much work what ever hours I want, but I'm trusted and don't pull the piss.

It depends on the culture. I'd leave a job quick smart if it was anal with regards start times/finish times.

Job done, I don't give a crap after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Disagree: A single person has to cook all their own meals, do their own cleaning, let in every tradesperson who comes to the house, etc. There's no partner to share these jobs with. So flexi time is actually more important.

Important to make a distinction between flexi-time (starting and leaving at varying times, but still making up the overall number of hours) and flexi-leave (using flexi-time and building up a bank a extra time which can be taken as full or half-days).

Some jobs offer the former but not the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭spark_tank

A worry to whom?

You seem to be forgetting the fact that if somebody is working up a day and a half each month they're also taking a day and a half off each month. They're working the same hours as a standard month but in a more flexible way. The work life balance is greatly improved.

It doesn't work everywhere, it depends on the nature of the job. And for that reason it is not allowed everywhere.

Why are you worried about it?

That you use the term extra or additional means you don't get it.

It's the same number of work hours just done at a different time.

That a manager has no oversight, or rationale to what their people are doing, and unable to manage the schedule is a bad management culture and/or bad manager.

They should be worried they can't tell the difference between someone being present and doing work.

Advertisement