Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Driving in Paris, France

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Our trip in Paris is coming to an end.

Glad we brought our Irish car. Driving was straightforward including in the city centre, tourist places, etc.

Parking costed about €4 an hour in the city. The parking spaces are tight here so need to be careful.

Thanks all

Post edited by masterboy123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well done.

Where did you see that Jag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Danny healy ray

Well done

It was parked at a car park at Champs-Elysees. Also, I encountered Ferrari, Bentley and a few Lambos in city centre car parks. I think the owner of those cars has purchased these parking spaces.

Our Hyundai Tucson HEV did well, and its SatNav alerted for fixed-speed cameras, which was great. I hope that I will not receive any fines in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If they can afford to drive such lovely cars I suppose they can manage the parking.

It's almost certainly a replica because a real Jaguar C type would be worth €5m to €8m depending on competition history.

Nice spot

• Advertisement

Looking at the amount of dust on those supercars I believe they were not moved around for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

back to the tolltag issue, theres all sorts of models from monthly rental payment to a prepay to a postpay with a small (2euro?) fee for the month you use it, but theres no tag that is free to get, free to use etc.

The one I have is from Ulys and I think they charged a fiver or something for postage, its the 2euro or so for the month I use it, and they collate the tolls and bills be at the end of the month (fantastic level of trust in fairness considering the amount of tolls you can accumulate). They also have a hidden condition that its a tenner fee if you dont use it over a 12 month period. Its a model that suits me and the trip from Cherbourg to Strasboug has 9 tolled stretches with probably 14 or 15 toll booths where you collect a ticket or pay, so it does make such journeys that little bit more straight forward

All that aside, if the usecase is mostly to drive from Cherbourg to Paris occassionally with no delays/ hassle at tollbooths then this will soon be irrelevant as the A13/ A14 is to be made a freeflow video toll like the M50 in Dublin sometime this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The EU should mandate toll tag roaming. They could allow an extra fee e.g. 50c for extra territorial use but like mobile phones it should work and anyone allowed set up a toll should be required to support it.

I used the bank card without any issues. I didn't need a toll tag as it was a once-off holiday to Paris.

Toll charges from Cherbourg to Paris were around €20 each way.

There is a dedicated lane for people who want to pay by cash 💸 it was never busy, only 1-2 cars ahead of us.

Given it was Christmas break, the traffic was lighter, perhaps.

Thanks all for your input. It was highly valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It took long enough to get toll tag interoperability just within Ireland...

There are much simpler things which they could and should do - e.g. abolish national schemes like Crit'Air and have a standard system in place across all member states that want to implement emission controls.

The can/bottle recycling scheme, the same. Having a separate logo for every country's scheme is stupid and a barrier to trade, which the single market is supposed to prohibit (same goes for the stupid alcohol health warnings they want to bring in here)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

On the subjects of driving in Paris, the A13 and the oft-cited inability of Dublin's Co.Councils to cope with "a bit of snow" here's how things looked in Ile-de-France last night (in French):

Summary: A12 and A13 closed overnight/this morning with 100km of traffic stuck on them and unable to move ... except downhill, in which case many of the vehicles were unable to stop. The gritters came out ... this morning. This is a regular occurrence in/around Paris in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

For any future readers of this thread. Paris have massively increased charges for larger cars in public car parks.

I don't think it applies to private car parks.

Advertisement