Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wanna be when you grow up?

Options
  • 29-11-2023 6:49pm

obviously we’re all grown up by now (I would hope), but I’m just curious if you ended up doing what you wanted as a kid?

If not, why?

If so, do you enjoy it/is it what you had imagined it would be?

For myself it was always a chef. I am currently and delighted with it every minute (more or less..). It’s definitely not quite what I had imagined though! There’s a lot less shouting for one thing.

Not to say I haven’t had one or two things thrown at or towards me as a commis 🤣

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No where near it. I always wanted to do something where I was helping people or at least made a difference to peoples lives, but I work in IT. If I couldn't help people then I wanted to be in a job where I solved problems and learned new things. And that hasn't happened either.

And although people say it's never too late to change, finances make it impossible. The world has changed enough that even if I could finance a new college course and a new start, I couldn't go back to graduate/entry level earnings.

So I do courses, mainly masters, in stuff I like and know that I'll never use the knowledge I'm getting. It's not bad, I get to study stuff I like. But it would be nice if it was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Baba Yaga

wanted to be a handsome,debonair world famous assassin...and here i am,living the dream 😁

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I wanted to be in a job where I helped people.

After ten years in that profession, I really started to despise people, Lots who wouldnt help themselves, wanted everything done for them, everything was everyone else's fault, never thanked you when you helped them etc. Dont get me wrong, the few cases where someone was grateful was worth it, but 90% of the time it wasnt

Im in private now, making 2x the money and dealing with much less stress and sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A pathologist. I liked the idea of being a surgeon, but didn't want the responsibility of not accidentally killing patients.

I ended up not studying medicine at all, so just do it as a hobby (and the odd nixer) now.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ottolwinner

Always wanted to be involved in high performance sport. When I knew I wouldn’t make the grade and didn’t have the killer instinct for it I looked at the science aspects of it and fortunately was ahead of the curve in many ways. Got to travel the world for years and apply my skills. Now I happily do a job coaching and teaching at entry levels and enjoy it greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

An artist. Did a portfolio course after school, got into a load of art colleges, thought it would be wise to go with Fine Art - then the economy tanked :eek:

Probably a blessing in disguise to be honest. Forced me to go into a well paying career rather than trying to struggle my way though life being a starving artist.

That's what I tell myself anyway.. probably would have been the next Damien Hirst :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭standardg60

The odd nixer in medicine?

That gave me a good chuckle😁

Never knew what I wanted to do tbh though was always more interested in the practical side of things rather than technical or studious, fell into landscaping/horticulture by accident and loved it.

Looking back now on the brain side of things I think I would have been drawn to psychology aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Actually, in all seriousness, I did the exact same thing. Portfolio course in a PLC, then Fine Art Painting in NCAD. I absolutely loved it, but the funny thing was that I never actually wanted to be an artist. I wanted to study it and I wanted to make art - but I never actually had a plan to work at it as a career. I’ve actually only just realised that now (30 years later) - I never had a plan for when I finished college.

I’ve ended up with a pretty good career, but it’s a million miles away from being an artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I'm middle-aged and posting on Boards, so obviously all my youthful expectations have been realised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Boards is my ultimate achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I also did my degree in fine art painting in NCAD. :)

Was absolutely over the moon to get in and had a great time there too. Few of my peer group from the time seem to be doing alright for themselves in the art world, really lovely too see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If I could be anything, I would be a bigger, more obtuse c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Always wanted to be a priest.

The attraction wore off when my balls dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

When I was a teen, I wanted to be a chemist (research scientist), and I did a lot of dangerous and exciting experiments, but then I started computer gaming and programming and liked it even more. Now working in developing industrial software in the area close to my PhD work. Reasonably happy with my career path so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A woman.

Further away than ever.

Also wanted to win Olympic gold, but was never good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fecking Chef. Should have known. I knew one. Was my former brother in law but well he ruined that relationship all by himself. A pity as I liked him even do he was so up himself. Not saying you are necessarily like that.

He was very clever actually at lots of things. Was good with wood and making things.

The answer to your question is no. I done a job I hated and never wanted to do for too long and the 2008 recession basically put on end to that and I retired then lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Check out girl ✅😁 and love it

I especially love when theres a discrepancy over prices and I've to shout over to another check out girl to see what actual story is...then I know I've made it. 😂😁

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not a very busy thread. Maybe a mod should put it in with other threads belonging to the OP. Sure isn't that the way things are done in hear now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wanted to be a footballer… doesn’t every other young fella.

lawyer… had a older cousin take that career path in the US and when he was about 30 he was minted… now 😵‍💫💶💶💶💶💶

pilot… paid well and in those days you got to stay over and experience more places…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Happy

How’s that going Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Happy

No, but if you want my advice AMKC, like Beasty suggested, quit while you’re ahead here..

Advertisement