Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you still use stamp 4 after getting citizenship (while waiting for passport)

Options
  • 29-11-2023 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks,

I soon should get my citizenship, but I have a flight a few days after so most likely I won't receive my passport in time (if I am even able to apply for it in time).

Can I still use my stamp 4 while I am waiting?

How does it work if you have a dependent (that should algo get citizenship soon), can they still be tied to that stamp 4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭dennyk

You technically aren't supposed to use your foreign passport to enter Ireland as a foreign citizen once you are an Irish citizen, unless you have a Stamp 6 permission on it (which takes even longer to get than an Irish passport). However, Irish citizens don't actually need a passport to enter Ireland. If you have your certificate of naturalisation with you, that might be sufficient to prove to the border officials that you are in fact a citizen. (Just don't lose it, as it is irreplaceable...)

Now, the issue here is going to be flying to Ireland. Are you originally of a nationality that requires a visa to enter Ireland? If so, then you're not going to be able to travel until you have an Irish passport, because as an Irish citizen you cannot apply for an Irish visa, and your airline isn't going to accept anything but a visa or an Irish passport as proof you can enter Ireland; they won't let you travel based on your certificate of naturalisation.

If your other passport is from a country that doesn't require a visa to enter Ireland, then you might be able to manage it by showing the airline your foreign passport and then showing the immigration official your naturalisation certificate (along with your foreign passport to serve as photo ID).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 esler

Does that mean that if I don't get the passport or certificate in time I should cancel my trip (Asking because its a quite long one to see my family which some are quite sick).

So I am trying to understand if there is a risk of not being able to return even if I just got the citizenship (altho I am waiting for the documents)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are two different issues here.

The first is that requirement to clear immigration. Even if you are Irish at the time of your travel, you can enter on your original passport without issue. What you can’t do is claim to be a foreign national in Ireland to seek consular services from your country of origin or avoid your legal obligations. Hell I’ve even offered them both passports and asked them to pick and they did not bat an eyelid! In any case the Garda will be able to access your information.

The second and bigger problem is getting to the point where you are actually landed in Ireland. Airlines can face high penalties if they land someone who is later refused entry, so they have their own policies and procedures. And generally speaking they tend to be very strict in applying their rules.

If it were me, I would not rely on the collective knowledge of the internet, but contact both the Garda and the airline before making a decision to fly.

Any tip on how should I contact Garda or the immigration office?

Asking because the immigration office tends to be not very responsive.

I am lucky in the sense that my country does not need an entry visa, just a valid IRP and I can travel around Europe without a visa as well. My concern is basically if the immigration officer has the information that the IRP was cancelled (due to citizenship) and doesn't allow me to re-enter the country.

Once I have the passport I don't plan on re-using the IRP ever again, its just to be able to enter the country between this period of "after ceremony" - "acquire the passport"

Post edited by esler on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sorry I don't know the best way to go about contacting the right person in the Garda.

But I think you are overthinking it a bit. If your IRP is cancelled due to you acquiring citizenship, the the officer will be able to see this. On top of which you will have received documentation indicating that your application for citizenship has been accepted/granted. So you are entitled to enter the country even without a passport, so long as you can identify yourself and you can do that with your original passport.

On top of this if as you say you don't need a visa to enter as a tourist, then you could enter as such, but I expect you'd need to clear it up later once your citizenship/passport process is completed.

Nice, thanks, can you comment on what do you mean by "but I expect you'd need to clear it up later once your citizenship/passport process is completed." ?

In case someone search for this, I had no issues entering the country, neither me or my wife (which also got citizenship and we are still waiting for the naturalisation certificate)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mikewest

Thank you for posting this, too many leave posts hanging👍👍

Advertisement