Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start - 2024 running goals.

Options
  • 28-11-2023 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi there

Appreciate any help / direction.

Looking to get back in to running, but looking to actually get some structure in to a plan rather than just putting the shoes on and going again. Where to start?

Ultimate goal would be to get 3.40 - 3.45 DCM in 2024. Willing to put some plan in place to achieve that now and commit to running being the priority over the gym for 2024 and maybe beyond.

• What is a good interim target to have something to work towards before committing to the marathon block in 2024? A race in April / May?
    • How should I logically structure the training, considering id like to keep one day for the gym to keep resilient.

I should point out I have no problem reaching out to a coach either and paying for services - but thought I would start here. If there are recommendations for people who provide that service, I would listen.

Times below from last serious block of running in 2019 are below but current fitness has me around 5k of 23:30 and 10k of 48:30. Haven't done more than a 10k for some time.

Stats / facts:

• 37 male. 90kg.
    • Last serious bout of running was 2019 - with maybe 1 5k/10k per month since. But I have been in the gym doing conditioning/strength since so not at a completely flat level.
    • Times from 2019
      • 10M - 1.18
      • DCM half - 1.48
      • DCM - 3.58

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

To answer your questions;

• What is a good interim target to have something to work towards before committing to the marathon block in 2024? A race in April / May? - This is just me and maybe you might think differently but there are plenty of marathons to target either in the spring or summer so there's nothing to stop you to just do a few weeks base building, working up a habit and consistency with your running and then getting straight into a marathon block, depending where you are at 16/18 weeks. If Dublin was the goal, i would just build up some base mileage over the coming months, and work on some of the short speed work 5/10k stuff but predominently concentrate on easy running (talking in paragraphs) while running. The Dublin race series is something to target as they are set out in a way that compliment the marathon, otherwise, if going for spring marathon, look at a half marathon like Carlingford or Westport.
    • How should I logically structure the training, considering id like to keep one day for the gym to keep resilient. Definitely keep the gym going, can only help your running. I struggle with keeping to a structured plan and prefer to just work on getting out and getting up to in and around 70/80k a week volume. But there are plenty of plans online and available, plenty of resources and people who will point you in the right direction for free. Also plenty of coaches who will take your money and give you the same advice and give you a plan. Which leads me on to the following...

If it's an option for you, i would reccomend you join a local running club. If Dublin is the goal, they will likely have marathon group that trains twice a week and long runs together on the weekend and you will train with a group with the same goal as you. Training and running in a group will bring you along so much faster in my opinion, it really makes the sessions pass by so much quicker and everyone having the common goal is a real win win for accountability. https://membership.athleticsireland.ie/

I knocked 30 mins off my marathon time this year but just by buiding up a bit of consistency, thats all. Sitting now at under 3'30.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Super stuff thanks for taking the time to respond. You 've made it really simple in that number one is to get building the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Now is a great time to start getting ready for DCM '24. I did something similar for DCM '22. I went from running twice a week to 3 times a week to 4 or 5 times a week before starting into the marathon plan. The gradual build will benefit you enormously as it's giving your body plenty of time to get used to the load you are putting on it and lessening your risk for injury .

Check out the Grads plan in the below link

There is a base building tab (6 weeks) and then plans for 5/10k 10k/hm - If you start with base building and then work on one of the shorter distances then by the time you come to starting a marathon plan towards the end of June then you will be in really good shape to tackle it. The key is just to be consistently running and building that up over time. Just note the 5/10k and 10k/HM plans here are probably a little advanced, you could look for a beginner/intermediate 20 mile/HM plan if it feels daunting.

Up to you but I'd be looking at a 10mile/HM in April/May and then a few weeks of easy recovery and onto the marathon block at the end of June.

The race series is a great way as well to build on that fitness over the course of the summer while doing the marathon block and get you to the marathon having all the practice you need and mini goals along the way. You should check out the Mentored Novices Thread for '24 which will start in June '24 and takes a group through a marathon plan together, you won't go wrong if you follow along. The plan there includes the race series so no need to adjust a generic plan to fit in those races.

Advertisement