Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless Afghan man takes Waterford council to court over accommodation provision

Options
  • 27-11-2023 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

"A homeless Afghan man has brought a High Court challenge aimed at compelling Waterford City and County Council to help provide him with suitable accommodation.

In his action, the man claims that he has been unable to obtain proper accommodation, except night-to-night emergency accommodation from the council which he says is unsuitable for his needs."

Post edited by Cabaal on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

He should have got a free 5 bed house with a battery car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yup, we re knee deep in a housing crisis, and foreigners and other sections of society are gonna be ultimately blamed for it, when it fact, its our own fault for placing this critical need into the hands of more wealth gaining entities from the whole process.....

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Was there not something similar in the courts earlier this year. Turns out it was a test case taken by the refugee council on behalf of someone.

I doubt it very much that a homeless assylm seeker took it upon himself to launch a high court case against the state.

As a previous poster said, this guy will be blamed for the failings of this state for the absolute mess that is the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In fairness, singletons/couples are literally left on the street indefinitely as all the (1988) law requires is to register someone as homeless. This sounds like a case to change Irish law. Either way it is a good thing. How is it acceptable to leave someone on the street?

He also seeks:

- orders requiring the local authority to reconsider in a lawful manner his homeless accommodation needs

- several declarations from the court including that the council's alleged policy of only providing four emergency beds for single men is unlawful

- that his Constitutional and ECHR rights are not being vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This is where the government need to stand up and face the reality, we cannot provide accommodation so we need to start rejecting asylum and enforcing their deportation orders and stop fueling the far-right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

So the Council offer accomadation,

He refused (cause he didn't understand cause he has bad english)

and is now in Court representing himself,

After refusing a offer cause he didn't understand.

But understand that his "Constitutional and ECHR rights are not being vindicated"

Anyone see an issue here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I expect this will turn out to be something similar - a test case with some organisation behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No doubt bankrolled and hand held by one of the myriad migrant industry NGOs - quite possibly the same one who handled the Parnell Square Algerian's deportation appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Having read the article, I'm a bit confused and am wondering if anyone can answer the following questions.

1 He fled Afghanistan because he worked for the American Military. Why didn't he claim asylum off them?

2 Why did he leave the accommodation provided during his asylum application ? The media has told us numerous times that successful applicants refuse to leave as there is no accommodation available and are not evicted.

3 Once he was granted asylum, I take it that he has the same rights and privileges as an Irish citizen ?

4 If the answer to question 3 is yes, what differentiates him from the other homeless men in Waterford?

5 Why did whoever is funding this case use this mans situation and not take up the case of the old man in the car who is claiming something similar, i.e. council wont house him.

The fact that there is only 4 beds for single males in Waterford is scandalous, the number of homeless men must be multiples of that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....yup, we ve made a complete fcuk of our property markets, its so fcuked now, we ve decided the best thing to do is simply blame others such as foreigner's..

...im sure this approach will work out just fine in the end.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Where am I blaming the foreigner?

The blame for the housing crisis and the explosion in the number of homeless people throughout the country lies firmly at the feet of the Government, their actions and failure to act are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

He is contributing to demand and I think a lot of people would agree if you were to line people up in terms of deserving to be housed by the Irish state he would be way, way down the list. It certainly makes more sense to me that he would be looked after in the US, seeing as he was helping their military out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And it's not the first case recently one arrived in the country from Afghanistan and within a week he had the government in the high court and won compensation because he wasn't provided with accommodation on arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Proper order. It’s Ireland’s duty to house the world because Irish people emigrated previously or because of white privilege or something like that anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Funny how we suddenly have lots of people here that never post in the Waterford forum.

I'm closing this thread now, I'm sure there are plenty forums where ye can discuss immigrants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement