Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your absolute favorite (must do) races in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-11-2023 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am putting together my wishlist of races for 2024 and 2025 and I wanted to hear about other people’s favorite events. I live overseas but love coming back (any excuse - a race is a good one!).

The two races I have done in ireland: Dublin Marathon, the great ireland run 10k, and then a handful of parkruns. So, hopefully there are plenty of events I’m sure I am missing.

interested in mainly events under the marathon distance. Bonus points for flat and fast but I’ll take any strong recommendations. In 2024, my only race is London Mara (end of April ish).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Connamarathon, not flat and fast but hilly and incredibly scenic. They have a half event as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Dingle Marathon - Kerry

Warriors Run - Sligo

Royal canal run - Longford

IMRA Maurice Mullins half - Wicklow Way

IMRA Powerscourt uphill(not sure of its current form) - Djouce Wicklow

Bohermeen half marathon - Meath

Connemarathon - Galway

Mullingar half marathon - flat

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Clare Burren Marathon - full, half & 10km - lots of hills and parts off road but a fantastic run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

Lap of the Gap half/full marathon - Wicklow - A challenging hilly road course over Sally Gap (full) with the half going up to Glenmacnass Waterfall and back down. Beautiful scenery. A couple of hundred participants in each event. Very well organised. Hoping to go back in 25/26.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Fully agree with Lap of the Gap. I done the Half this year and it was a real highlight. Its definitely not anything close to flat, but the best part was in the hall after the race there were loads and loads of proper cake shop pastries.

I also really enjoyed the Great Limerick Run (half). A beast of a medal but the support was brilliant. I don't know Limerick at all, but running through the city center was great. 10ks on after so loads and loads of people out for a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

Dunshaughlin 10k - one of the fastest club-run 10k’s in the country, and very well run event

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

I am seeing a major theme here: not flat 😂

Thanks for the fabulous suggestions.

For others coming to the thread, I've compiled a Google Sheet with the suggestions so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aAT2gjqbLE_94lfR6N9v5PzLae0L_dlZjhSDVhPuaYw/edit?usp=sharing

So far, Dunshaughlin is speaking to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Enfield 5k, Raheny 5 miler, Jingle bells 5k, Dunboyne 10k, Dunshaughlin 10k

Bohermeen half, Dublin full

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

My favs which are flat and fast:

5k:

Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5k (May) - manic at the start, really strong field

Kilcock 5k (June) - home race, strong field

Jingle Bells 5k (Dec) - start of party season - last km downhill

10k:

Dunboyne 10k (March) - Good club race

Dunshaughlin 10k (June) - 2 hills in 2nd half but strong field make up for it

10 Mile:

Trim 10 mile (Feb) Brilliant race

Kilcock 10from10 (Aug) - very flat, finish on canal

Half Marathon

Rathoath HM (Sept) - flat!

Tullamore HM (Aug) - good club race

Notable mentions (Not flat):

Trim Braveheart 5k - used to be better when it was Trail run

Donadea 50k - 10 laps and fook off 😁 Great atmosphere

Clonmel HM - not fully flat but I got my PB here, nice club race

Also check out BHAA races, cheap and cheerful, some good XC races

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

For me, the race I never want to miss is the Terenure 5 miler, love it. The course has changed many times since I first did it in the mid 90s.

Fast, decent standard and Bushy park is great for warm up/cool downs

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

What is the Jingle Bells course like?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

5k - Birr or docklands

5 mile - Raheny

10k - Enniscorthy. the kclub used to have the best one.

10 mile - Edenderry or Mullingar.

1/2 Marathon - Mullingar very flat but can be a strong head wind in second half along the canal. charleville and rathoath extremely flat.

Marathon - only know dublin. Nice event but disaster to get into these days.

interested to hear other views on best Irish marathon alternative to Dublin.

Post edited by Tommy Max on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr_Messy

Fast. A small drag up Chesterfield Avenue, but after that a net downhill. Best thing about it is the mug. I am building up my collection of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

XC

Dublin Inters

Leinster masters\inters

Dublin Snrs

National Snrs (even if it is a case of getting lapped, incredible event)

BHAA Garda 6km (Phoenix Park) - tough loop, great race though

XC is not for everyone but the team aspect in the club races is just something that drags a little bit more out of me and on the flip side, is something that gives a little bit more back to me. Plus, it gets you fit !

Road

Kinvara 10k - not an easy one but a great finish coming down into the harbour

Bob Heff 5k - top class field, hurts like hell but its over in a flash

Dunboyne 5 mile ( missed this in 2023, love it though)

Achill 10k\half - again, not an easy one but worth the trip down for the views alone

Thought about adding others in but these are the ones that I don't want to miss next year

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

+1 for Dingle and Connemara marathons: the best Ireland has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Connemara marathon is certainly on my list to do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

John Treacy 10m in Dungarvan (Feb). Great time of year for racing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭4Ad

An IMRA Race up Galtymore, 3 really tough, muddy,boggy and rocky climbs and then you turn around and do it back again..though the return leg doesn't seem as bad !!

Tough as hell and I never run well but I love it.

Def buying a pair of Innov8 X Talons for next years race !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshimi79

Streets of Galway 8km in August. Flat and a nice scenic route through the city and along the promenade.

I think usually about 2000-2500 entries

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I did the Waterford AC Half Marathon this morning. I love this race. It's not an easy course with a few climbs but the stretch on the greenway gives you a chance to get your breath back.

The bobble hat you get at the end makes it all worthwhile plus the time of year it's held means that, for me, the Christmas season starts now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Definitely the Warrior's Run in Sligo for me. I enjoyed the shít out of it and it is very well supported. Apart from on the mountain there were people on every corner cheering you on and that was with the weather being rubbish this year. Great craic afterwards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I'm a big fan of the Streets of Portlaoise 5km.

Ratoath and Bohermeen Half marathons also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Run the Line - possibly my favourite race ever

Newmarket 5K - fast and flat (apart from the hill at the end.....)

Churchtown 10 mile - Another Duhallow AC event (along with Newmarket and Rockchapel) their post race spread has to be seen to be believed..

Cobh 10 mile - hilly but what a finish!

Mallow 10 mile

Most IMRA events but specifically Cannon Sheehan Loop, Rahan (Mallow), Gougane Barra and Currabinny

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

The Newry Half marathon at the end of May is one of the flattest around, perfect for a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd guess you're likely looking for longer distances and if you're making a long trip you'd probably want to spend more than 10 minutes racing 😀 But if you're visiting over a longer period then I'd recommend -

The Griffith Avenue Mile. Beautiful straight run with a slight net downhill.

The Clonliffe 2 mile. Oldest Road Race in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Always make sure I do The Streets of Galway in August. 8km race around the town

Love the Galway 5km series as well. 6 weeks, 6 different 5KM races around the county. Craughwell and Athenry being my favourite two

Enjoy the Kinvara half marathon in March also. They've added a 3/4marathon for 2024, but it's too close to Rome for me, so skipping it in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kinvara Rock & Road in March is my favourite race - 10k/HM options, previously had a marathon option but now seems to be a 3/4 marathon instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Belfast Marathon.

Relatively flat. Massive crowds supporting especially early on and towards the end.

No problem getting an entry and accomodation is much cheaper than Dublin.

Advertisement