Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts Signed -> Closing

Options
  • 27-11-2023 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a second hand house that is currently vacant. Both myself and the vendor have signed the contract and my solicitor has received same back from vendor.

However, the closing has been delayed because my solicitor has not received "closing documents" from vendor's solicitor.

Would someone mind explaining this to me as my understanding was always that the signed contract was the final piece of documentation required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There are two signed sets of contract, the sale is not final until they are 'exchanged', i.e. your solicitor has one set and the vendor's solicitor has the other. Until that happens, either side can walk away.

In this case, it sounds like your solicitor is holding up the exchange until he has all the docs you need, which is exactly what he's supposed to do.

Even after the contracts are exchanged and you're committed to the purchase, it can be weeks before you close the sale and actually get keys in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

There are some documents that beed to be signed on closing. Vendor should already done that though. Family home declaration and title transfer I belive. Dragged out my purchase by a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's a pile of documents required. Even down to things like LPT proof, septic tank registration, compliance certs and host of other things. Your solicitor is looking after your interests to make sure nothing is missing before formally closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

In my case, it was production of a marriage certificate by my vendors that delayed a purchase for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Thanks everyone who commented.

I was always under the impression that once vendor signed and returned the contract that was it but turns out there are a few bits.

Just for anyone coming to this thread in the future, my solicitor said it was the transfer of title deeds that they were waiting for. It actually didn't delay things at all as they received the documents the following day. They then had to do what's called "final searches" where they check that there's no obligations against the house (mortgages, loans etc. - as far as I understand it). Thankfully there were no issues with mine so I closed yesterday and am collecting the keys today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement