Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof light tunnel - line or remove?

Options
  • 26-11-2023 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

We have a velux roof window tunnel in our bathroom (the only window in there).

We are thinking of redoing the bathroom in the new year and need to do something with the light tunnel.

The finish is bad, and lots of dust cobwebs in there, and since it's over the bath, impossible to reach, plus the insulation is not great.

I was thinking to either have it lined with something easier to maintain like PvC or to remove it altogether.

What are the lining options? Ideally some form of rigid insulation as part of it. And who would tackle this kind of job?

Or should we just remove it and be done with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, there were a number of posts on skylights in the past with good photos included, but I can find none of them at this time. Any of the insulation options would normally be applied from within the attic rather than on the internal face of the skylight, so I'm not sure that's an option unless you know that you can access it within the attic?

As for lining it with PVC, that could be done, but it won't address the thermal losses and could hide or contribute to mold issues over time. Ideally the skylight should also be retrofitted with a airtight membrane too if you are insulating... it might just be easier to have it blocked off if you're not dependent on the light off of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I can access the tunnel from the attic.

It's about 2m long.

Getting it insulated with some rigid panels would probably be easy enough from the attic.

The inside is made out of painted thin wood sheets from what I can see, so the finish is not great.

Zero mould though, probably too draughty and cold.

I was also thinking to have it replaced with a sun tunnel/tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The inside is made out of painted thin wood sheets

That tunnel is likely a major heat loss element and not just because it isn't insulated but also because it is leaking air like a sieve. If not needed for natural light you might be better off to forget about it and close the ceiling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Any ideas on rough cost to remove? Thinking 1-2k given the multiple trades? Roofer plus removing tunnel plus plasterer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Personally, id refit it with a new roof window with smart control. You can get roof windows with internal humidity sensors & external rain sensors that control opening and closing. Also with general remote control and automated blinds.

Then you could redo the tunnel with membrane and new plasterboard. Insulate on attic side.

Failing that, I'd delete it completely but watch out for ventilation requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You could get it done by one person as there shouldn't be structural matters to deal with. The critical items are ensuring that the roof is done correctly (isn't that hard on standard roof) and then getting the plastering nicely finished. There are small-job builders who can do all of that, you would need to get recommendations from neighbours, etc.

Advertisement