Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace oil heating

Options
  • 24-11-2023 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭

I am buying a house in Dublin which has oil heating. I would like to change it, but don't even know what I should be looking for. Presumably there is gas mains, it's in Dublin and about 40 years old. Someone said if I get gas with a combi boiler (whatever that is) that I won't have the water tank in the hot press? Which sounds great.

I looked into those new heat pumps but I'm not willing to do all the insulating that is required.

So, what do I need to ask for? And who do I ask!

totally clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Approaching a couple of heating contractors might be a good start.

You can get a combi boiler in oil too. Indoor and outdoor options.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Heat pumps aren't a good solution for every home. Even with all the insulation done it really only makes sense if someone is in the home most of the day because heat pump stays on 24/7. Not economical if you only require heat for a few hours in the evening.

Combi boiler in oil will suit you better than gas. Gas combi have an average life span of only 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Go to gas. What location is the current oil boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ok I used to live in a house in Dublin with an oil boiler, the pipe came up to the side of house and then straight up into the attic.

Then from attic if flowed down into the house the water

The options was to try run gas to the back of the house and put the boiler on the back wall, this would of meant huge work internally.

Or run the gas straight up into the attic and install the boiler in the attic. THis is what I done. Was a lot easier install and worked perfect. Im sure someone will say you shouldn't have in attic for XYZ reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not true that heat pumps need to be on 24/7. A pick in the morning to get the house up and on again in the evening. If you're looking to future proof and can afford it, way to go. Look at the options on heat pump grant aid here:

Have been doing some reading, does anyone have any experience with electric radiators and solar panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Why are you replacing the oil heating? Is there something wrong with it? If you need a new boiler would it not be cheapest to replace like with like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

snake oil

max elec demand at night in winter when there is SFA PV

Min elec demand in mid summer at 13:00, max PV

go figure

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Because I don't want oil really, it's expensive, it can run out, the boiler smells.

Just looking into options

• Advertisement

But does whatever electric is generated not go back to the grid or something? Reducing electric bills?

I dunno, trying to figure all this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Fair enough. A properly set up modern boiler shouldn’t smell and overall the cost will likely be way less than retrofitting any new type of system.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

Get solar to keep your electricity bill down but it won't help with heating your house. Solar output is poor in winter when you most want to heat your house.

If costs are your main concern, id leave your oil burner alone until it stops working. It'll cost you thousands to get gas in and it'll be a very long time before you make the money back, if ever. Gas is fairly expensive as well right now.

I'd keep the boiler and instead get solar panels in, maybe a stove, insulate the attic etc which would be far more cost effective and make for a more comfortable home

I really want to get a wood burner/stove in. It's a dormer and I like having internal doors open.

I don't like a very hot house and I know I'll only have heating on for very minimal amount of time.

Maybe leaving the oil might be the best idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Depending on what type of oil boiler you have, it might be worthwhile upgrading to a condensing oil boiler.

Ok

On the electric heaters don't water your time. You will end up ripping them out in a few years as they will cost a fortune.

Solar will reduce the electricity but only during the summer when you don't need heat. So during the winter you will be burning electricity all the time, I have solar and 20 panels at the moment and it doesn't even take the base load off the house.

During the summer the excess will go back into the grid and you get FiT(Feed in tariff) but I would keep that separate to the heating system.

A wood burning stove would require a back boiler in the house to heat the rest of the house. Now again the house I had I installed an insert into the sitting room. The room would end up like an oven and even with door opened it wouldn't really flow around the house.

if the boiler is working and in good condition I would leave as is, get a good service. Is it a condenser boiler or standard?

I believe it's standard? There's a bit water tank/immersion tank thing in the cupboard. Is it a condensing boiler that does away with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

No, a condensing boiler just operates more efficiently.

You'll still have an immersion tank.

Depending how the house is plumbed, it's possible to have zones of heating with the boiler

Upstairs, downstairs, water.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

It’s the combi boiler that does away with that, not a condensing boiler. Hot water tank has benefits so I would suggest not removing this unless there is a good reason eg age, standard etc

If you’re buying a house is there other stuff to do to the house. The level of upheaval needed elsewhere may make a more substantial change easier. If you’re going gas you’ll need a line and a meter run in from the road which is about 1400€, then the pipes ran into the house by an RGI, then the install of the boiler, and hooking up all pipe work. Depending on accessibility to pipe work etc it would probably still stay in the boiler house. I wouldn’t see a combo boiler being ran from outside but maybe some do. That could be maybe 1500€ for the boiler and the cost of the install…another 1k? So all in 4k maybe on a good day.

If it’s just what to do with current heating system, and it works ok, I would say nothing. Just get it serviced and keep the tank full. Unless you’ve money to literally burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm reading a bit about air to air heat pumps. Could become more popular in future years as oil / gas heating gets priced out.

Air to Air seems to be retrofittable relatively cheaply.

I'd agree with your last paragraph. Use the existing system as long as possible and see where technology / energy prices are in a few years.

Ideally reduced electricity prices based mostly on wind / solar will mean electric heating via technological advances is a no brainer.

• Advertisement

Wind for home use at the moment is impossible, especially in Dublin. Solar won't be able to provide at the time when you need it

I like the look of A2A myself because I have a house which is oil fired now and a A2W would be difficult. But not sure the technology is advanced enough yet but I could be totally wrong on that. It was a topic I was going to raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Wind from the grid is what I am referring to.

If the offshore wind projects deliver then that 'should' result in cheaper electric long term, making A2A a good choice.

It seems relatively easy to fit into older houses.

Sit tight and see how the technology unfolds I suppose.

Ahh ok, sorry I would love to be able to put wind on house to bump up solar so always think like that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just to clarify that heat pumps are designed to be on 24/7. Turning them off at night allows the water in the rads to go cold. It can take a day to bring rooms back up to temperature. They aren't like gas or oil boilers that reach high temperature and heat quickly. Heat pumps are very cost efficient at bringing a home up to temperature. They can be very efficient at keeping the temperature once it reaches desired temperature.

https://ecoplus.ie/why-heat-pumps-run-constantly/

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Just to add my own current solution. We have 8 solar panels, South facing, installed in June. As has been said it's great in the Summer, alright in the Autumn (and I expect Spring) and not great in the Winter. Well worth doing though. We added batteries and even now in Dec if we get a day of 3 or 4 bright hours the batteries are filled up to 5kwh, enough to cook and use an infrared panel heater in the living room in the evening. After that we use a very old oil boiler for an hour to heat water and the whole house, and another hour during the night. Same as yourself, we'll have to find a solution to replace the oil eventually. There really is no substitute for heating the whole house in our climate. I'm thinking of just using the oil boiler until it's done, and hopefully by then maybe electric boilers will be more viable.

One other thing about the solar, it's amazing how much saving you can make when you don't put all the big electric using appliances on at the same time, or wait until its sunny, etc.

I suppose what I'm saying is, look at solar, keep the oil until it's done and tech has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you put elec heating in the equation so my reply

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Honestly if the oil boiler is really old I would pick up a second hand one from adverts/done deal and install it. You will get good quality ones cheap and if you don't have a condesor boiler already it will pay for itself in a winter

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

There's no way changing to a condenser boiler would pay for itself in a winter or even in multiple winters

You will pick up one for about 200 second hand and isn’t it 70% efficiency v high 90%?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It would be a very old boiler that would have only 70% efficiency, more like 80+. In practice the difference between a 25/30 year old boiler and a newer condensing boiler is about 8%. That's partially because condensing boilers don't run in condensing mode all the time. However even in non condensing mode they are still more efficient than a standard eff boiler.

I wouldn't fit a secondhand condensing boiler no matter how much I was paid. It could all easily end in tears and no warranty to fall back on.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement