Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf GPS Watch

Options
  • 24-11-2023 9:21pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking for a new Golf watch now that Tom Tom have decided not to continue any support for the Golfer 2 watch, an excellent bit of kit imho. One feature I loved was the automatic shot detection and then being able to analyse my round after on the app especially with the aerial view of the course.

Am looking at the Garmin S42 but don’t think this has shot detection. The shot scope v3 uses tags like game golf and is half the price with the McGuires sale.

Any other suggestions from watches you use or have used is greatly appreciated. The automatic shot detection and app review is a must for me. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WeatherOrWhich

I have an s42 with a full season of rounds recorded. It has shot detection where it asks you what club you hit after each shot. I have three ct10 sensors also, they seem to work well so far. I often look at my round on the app after using the app. The overhead view works well I think. My main gripe is that if you want stats on where to improve your game, a system like arcos is a probably better, even though I have never used it. During play, the s42 works well and scores/stats can be recorded. A few mins editing is usually required to fix any missing strokes/errors after the round. The odd time (where a teebox is beside previous green) it doesn't detect you've moved onto the next hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

i have a spare V3 if you can hang on till we meet in Feb.

May even have new tags.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can hang on no problem. I was thinking of ordering it in the McGuirks sale. How much are you looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Special price for you Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I got a Garmin S62 in McGuirks in the January sale last year. It was 500 reduced to 450 and with the 10% choice I got it for €405.

As said above is great for tracking your play after a round on the app. Very happy with it.

I see it's come down to around €385 now that the S70 has been released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Bike Hogan

I'm looking at the Garmin Approach G12 to get my father something just for lining up shot distances but after checking the list of supported courses, most of his regular courses aren't on the official Garmin list.

Is there a way to update and add more or is it just whatever Garmin gives as standard (which is a lot but not the courses he plays) and nothing more? Is there any other device you could suggest that fulfills this needs? Main focus being more Irish courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You should be able to connect the garmin to your computer. Think it's called Garmin Connect? From there you can update with extra courses

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bike Hogan

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

When I looked on the Garmin list of Irish courses, it didn't have his local club nor some others he attends.

Am I being dumb, are all courses available if you search from them? Or is there juet a bunch of courses that don't exist in this format?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm not sure to be honest. I have a garmin GPS and I've never played a course in Ireland that it didn't find.

I know they come pre loaded with a bunch of courses, but when you get it you should connect it and make sure it's updated for the region

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Thinking of Shotscope x5 myself.

Anyone got any ideas..or would i be better with v3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Daniel son

Every course I've ever played is available on it. Connected it through the Connect App. Every course within 10-15KM pops up on it when prompted to select course.

Advertisement