Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco closing stores early in Dublin

Options
  • 24-11-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Totally unexpected and without warning Tesco closed all stores in Dublin.

Most likely this is due to the riots yesterday.

At the same time, Centra or Spar remained open.

I think Tesco was overreacting.

I hope they open again tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There’s been rumours going around, and copies of WhatsApp messages, that the far right scum are trying to organise more violence, and destruction, tonight.

Hopefully that doesn’t get any “traction” but hard to blame Tesco for taking precautions to protect their shops, staff and customers.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Totally unexpected and without warning. Was yesterday not a bit of a warning for you? A friend of mine said, he got an email in work asking everyone to go home early today as they wanted to lock the office before it got dark. Schools in the city centre were closing around lunch time.

Yes if you were planning on getting a steak and a bottle of wine on the way home it sucks for you, but it's hardly unexpected and without warning.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m a university lecturer and our campus in the city closed at 2.30pm this afternoon. All afternoon and evening classes were cancelled and security cleared everyone out by 3m given the scale of the violence and riots in Dublin city centre last night.

I would not be surprised if more supermarkets apart from Tesco are also doing likewise in order to protect their staff and customers. Dublin is in a state of high tension and alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

agreed total OTT hysteria- looking on Twitter every virtue signaling narcissist has to have their own angle on it. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I was in Dunnes Ilac Centre today and the off licence was closed. A staff member told me she said it was due to the expectation that if there was trouble they didn't want them going in to buy drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Tork

Interesting. So you think riots, assaults, looting and vehicles being burned out is a thing of nothing? I'm curious to know what your threshold is. Life changing injuries? One death? Two deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭gifted

Ah to be fair...3 out those 4 you mention are happening most nights in every city and towns in Ireland and nothing said about it....and for riots? It was contained in or around the same location so not exactly a national shut down was required....

As for the water cannon? Me thinks that will be used for any anti government protest in the future....just to keep the order you know 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Still Centra was open, Spar was open, and Tesco stores also closed far away from the city centre. That was a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Tork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

No one injured? A Garda is possibly having an amputation in hospital due to the violence yesterday. Take your head of out you smelly hole like a good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

if ye really think this didnt have an effect for the hardworking people of Dublin, you're very wrong.

This stupid display of violence cost the taxpayers millions, probably 10's of millions, it's also hurt us globally and made us look like a bunch of violent imbeciles to the world, which does us no favors in removing the drunken lout image everyone seems to have of us. It will hurt tourism, it has hurt us as a people, and what's worse is, it's done NOTHING, NOTHING to help the victims of yesterday's attack on those poor kids and that woman protecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Caveman Views...how apt a name.

How many people must be injured or killed for it to not to be laughable?

It's not normal for any city to have rioting at any time. Even if nobody gets hurt, it's not normal.

What a laughable comment!

Advertisement