Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joys Of Travelling To The States

Options
  • 24-11-2023 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I'm travelling to Vegas in Feb with United Airlines.

I have tight enough connections so just contacted UA to see can my bag be checked straight through to final destination (connecting flight in Newark)

She said no as I'd have to clear customs, I explained that in Ireland we clear US customs before we leave.She had never heard of this and insisted I'd have to collect bag and check it again.

Anybody have an answer in this?

Always seems to be some sort of hassle going to the US.

What are your stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Is it not the case you clear immigration and not customs at the Irish end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes,I explained this to her (in a call centre in the US) and she had no idea what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am in the same situation though have 3 hours in Newark to kill, on the United website It wont let me prebook the bags all the way says I need to use the App and the app says they can only take payment for cards with a us address.

They do calculate the cost of checking bags in the airport as the same price and it also shows my flights as dublin to vegas but mentions the connections.

by any chance did you book through love holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

OP is your flight direct from either Dublin or Shannon to Newark?

If it is then more than likely you can clear both immigration and customs in Dublin or Shannon.

If unsure call a UA call center in Ireland if you can and get clarification.

If however your flight to the US is from Heathrow, Amsterdam, Paris etc then you will have to clear immigration and customs in Newark.

My point is that customs and immigration are two separate things. You clear immigration at the Irish end, but you do not clear customs. You can only clear customs when you arrive in the US. Immigration gives you permission as a person to enter the US. Customs gives permission for the things you are bringing with you to enter. They are two separate distinct checks, so I believe that she is actually correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Are you flying with the same Airline for both flights? If so they will forward the bags to your final destination. Have done this loads of times when flying to the US. Immigration clearance is done in Dublin , but customs will be done at your final destination ( although there is a customs declaration bit in Dublin). That being said it will at that stage be a domestic flight so there will be no customs check, unless of course you are carrying something that you shouldn't.

Just make sure to ask the person at check in in Dublin to forward your bags to Vegas ( baby).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You have been able to clear customs as well as immigration from Ireland for a good number of years now.

It may not be available on every flight from Ireland to the US but it certainly is available.

Must say I did know that, always thought it was not possible to clear customs before you actually arrive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

Once you clear Dublin when you arrive in the US you just walk straight out of the airport as you're treated the same way as a domestic flight.

Yes and I've done this in the past.I just wanted to double check my bag would go through as I have a short connection flight in Newark and dint have time to be dealing with bags.

The UA representative said I couldn't do this and didn't understand that you clear customs in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.Yes both flights with UA

Have done it loads of times in the past but not in the last 10 years.Thats why I wanted to double check,got worried when the rep said no,but as mentioned I dont think she knew what she was on about.

If the UA desk is open in Dublin it shouldn't be a problem I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

You will clear both immigration and customs at Dublin , it’s all streamlined .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jonathan2712

As others have said you can clear customs in Dublin, but only if your flight is directly from Ireland to the US. If for example you go from Dublin to Heathrow and then Heathrow to Newark, then you cant clear immigration here, and will need to collect you bag in Newark, whereas if you go from Dublin to Newark you will arrive as a domestic passenger and your bag can be cheeked straight through to your final destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Yeah you'll clear it in Dublin. When you check in your suitcase in Dublin it should also tell you code on the label or check in person will tell you. You then arrive as domestic passenger and can walk to the the connecting gate without having to go back through security (Depending on airport / terminal).

Thanks for the answers here,it is as I expected.

A bit put off when UA rep told me differently but don't think she had a clue.

Its great having the pre clearance in Dublin and Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Since this is AH should we not be telling the OP to bet their house on black and enjoy a refreshing glass of hot tub water while in Vegas instead of seriously answering this banality?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I heard Bruce Heller is now working for US customs pre-clearance in Dublin these days, buddy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭taratee

If you are flying with UA all the way, they'll they'll check your bags straight through to Vegas. I've flown Dublin to Dallas and Houston over the years with them, via Chicago and Washington, and I never had an issue with them.

Yes but I have to get this banality out of the way before I hit the $25 cocktails......plus tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Hence the refreshing glass of hot tub water. Once you’ve blown all your money on the slots, that will get you through the last days 😂😂

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes bags are checked to final destination if you clear customs in Ireland assuming you are booked on one ticket.

Honestly for short trip of < two weeks I would just bring bag on board. Save hassle at airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i've flown to vegas via dublin over 20 times, and via London a few times. gone through san fran, chicago, new york. your bags are booked through. Your baggage ticket will show the final destination, in line with your ticket. just fyi they are scanned at dublin airport by US. when you clear customs you will be shown a picture of your bag usually and you say yes......thats mine......

once there was an issue when a person i was travelling with said it wasn't out our bag. they pulled the bags off, brought us through to a different room, xrayed and scanned and opened the bags in front of us and when all was right with the world, put them back onto a conveyor to go onto the plane. i never knew there was a place like it in Dublin airport, just behind the US customs. So they check them / x ray them in the background.

Dublin is one of the few countries in the world that has pre US clearance.

the worker in the states just doesn't understand this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currently, every single flight to the US clears in Ireland.

There have been some oddities in the past but in normal circumstances, its all flights. If it doesn't its called out well in advance.

Advertisement