Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance plan

Options
  • 24-11-2023 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I’m completely lost about how to even begin finding the right health insurance plan, there’s hundreds of them and despite finding a comparison site i’m still fairly unsure what i’m doing.

Anyone got any advice for plans to look at that would be around 100-120 monthly for 43 year old male with main focus being say heart and cancer ?

If i picked say Layas Flex 250 explore, does that look decent?

Post edited by DRedSky on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

give Laya a call they are actually quite helpful with explaining and suggesting which plan would be best suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

As someone who spent his life in the UK, I never had health insurance. I came here after Brexit and was in a job that kept me too busy to sort out much apart from basics.

I am now retired with all my income from the UK in the form of a pension.

I have a couple of hospital appointments that seem to drag on for years, but I assumed if things were life threatening there would be a fast track to the tests.

I have a medical card as my pension is not great, I never expected to drain the pension pot much due to keenly supporting many breweries and distilleries over the decades.

Is it worth getting insurance at sixty nine. I assumed I could nip back over to the UK if any ailment gave too much discomfort, but basically that was the "master plan".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Have a look at hia.ie for info on health insurance. If you have not had health insurance before age 35 there is a 2% premium surcharge for each year beyond 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DRedSky

Oh yep, i had historically been insured for enough years (my parents paid) to avoid the surcharge IF i take it out this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

VHI plan PMI 3613 might be worth looking at too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dermot Goode's operation charges €150 for a personal consultation, link below. He is frequently on the radio advising on medical insurance plans.

Don't go overboard on details on the form, you will probably get an automated response asking to you supply them again. That's what happened me when I sent then an enquiry where I stated my age, who I was currently insured with, the plan I was on and my next renewal date. The response thanked me for my enquiry and asked for the details which I had already supplied. I was so annoyed with the boilerplate reply that I decided not to use their services!

https://www.totalhealthcover.ie/fee-based_consultation_with_dermot_goode___total_health_cover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

anyone who has tried this have any feedback?

Currently with irish life on be fit 2 for a family of 5. seems to definitely savings to be made as prices are huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

I have a family member who used the service lately, first thing is you need to contact them about 6 weeks at least before renewal as my relative did it about 2 weeks before (they had received a gift voucher for the service which oddly only costs 125 instead of 150) and the first date they could arrange a phone appointment was a week after renewal, had to renew and use cooling off period if change was needed.

Advertisement