Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre choice

Options
  • 23-11-2023 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Well folks

Any savings to be had buying tyres online

I sold the Versys and now have a 2019 CB500X & the rear Tyre is squared off and about ready for replacement

Front Tyre is ok and has about 3 k left on it

I don't do any off road so I was thinking of getting road Tyre like the Battleaxe 023 or T31 trouble I am finding is that with it having a 19" front wheel and 17" rear it can be a chore to find a matching pair unless ordering on line

If I were to get them online can anyone tell me where I might get them fitted in Wicklow / Dublin / Wexford I can remove the wheels and throw them in the car but looking for somewhere that definitely don't mind you bringing your own :-)

Or should I just try find somewhere to replace the rear with the Michelin Mix trail as fitted

there is about 11000 Km ( 6800mls ) on them

Cheers :-)

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Best thing to do is to ring around and get prices. I'm not in that area of the world so I don't know the shops there but I know some places in Cork are happy for you to bring your own tyres, while others can get a bit picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've had a car garage do the change for me before. But I had to remove the wheels from the bike myself.

I should have a picture of having to do this in Germany where its the same

The German Garage was definitely amused by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Lucky It has a main stand so I wont need the crutch or zimmer frame mod to get the wheels off :-)

Would just be a bit wary of some ham fisted yob scratching the hell out of the lovely wheels trying to shoe horn it on to a car wheel changer :-) unless the bike and car ones are same ?

Cheers lads

on the R100 its a right pain to get the rear wheel off. I've to use a centre lift so the wheel clears the rear mudgaurd and comes away from the shaft easily enough!

As far as I can tell the machines are the same.

• Advertisement

Called in to a local tyre fitters there just to ask on the off chance and the wont do bike tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Roundabout Tyres, St Peter's Rd, Walkinstown, Dublin (Walkinstown roundabout). Ask for Martin. No problem bringing your own tyre (he doesn't sell bike tyres). Bring wheel only.

Brilliant

Great to know somewhere the definitely will change the tyres if I bring them along :-)

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Would have thought any bike shop that does servicing would change tyres that you supply. I know kearys bmw do, Lee to

Its an insurance thing. They could end up being responsable for any tyre they fitted to your bike and if thats the case, its better when they know where the tyre comes from.

Some of those tyres from discount websites are often old stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

I buy tyres online, from a reputable shop, and there can be a significant cost difference. but its getting harder and way more expensive in Dublin to have someone fit them here.

i dont buy the excuse "we didnt sell them , we are not insured", thats bull. The tyres are all marked with manufacture date etc, so the excuse doesnt stand up. I domnt see the issue with shops being reasonable to fit tyres ppl buy elsewhere.

Anyone here in Dublin use a bike shop to fit tyres - pm if needs be if you dont want to say here. if you are getting for 50/60e thats a fair price for a shop if ride in/ride out ?

maybe its time for a couple of us to buy a bead breaker , fit ourselves. This one gets great reviews.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/ie/Bikeit-Tyre-Bead-Breaker/m-20052.aspx?PartnerID=16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shoppingIreland&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInsj8zt_rggMVx4xQBh05WAg1EAQYASABEgIr5PD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tbh, a bead breaker isn't the hard part.

I bought a Pro Works gadget a while ago:

Success rate of 50%. Breaks the bead handy enough, but really struggled to dismount a couple of tyres for me, and ended up getting a shop to do them.

I'm actually thinking of going and buying a proper tyre-changing machine like the shops have, they're not as dear as you think. https://www.autoquip.ie/online-store/tyre-changers/semi-automatic/protec-pr-226-tyre-changer-machine-ireland

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

As suggested its not just the bead breaker

You will also need to Mount the tyre & balance the wheels and a compressor of some sort to pump up the tyres

The weights valves and tyre mounting goo I think would be cheap enough but all in all the initial investment for the average joe would mean you would need to be changing tyres pretty often for it to pay off

But would be Nice to have

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

@galwaytt

nice kit that alright, take up a bit of space though too - one of the lads said eh could kit a corner of his garge....but we'll see. i just think its craxy bike shops wont save themselves the hassle of buying the tyres and just fitting, where's the issue.

@flashinthepan

balancing is handy enough, and i have a good quality footpump i invested in years ago, its v accurate, as i do check it and my tyres ever other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I can do 21 inch fronts ok but I struggle with the smaller fatter rears.

There's no way I could justify the machine linked to above but I have to say I've considered the Rabaconda...

I had seen them advertised alright & looks like it would do the job but close to €500 is out of my budget

It is the pits being a pauper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have the space, the garage, the compressor, bikelift etc, so I'm easily persuaded to buy more 'stuff' 😀

That and the fact there's nowhere in the West anymore means changing tyres means a few hours driving to/from to do them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some places are incredibly arsey about it, bitter about the lost profits from overcharging you on supplying the tyres. The insurance thing is bollox for any E-marked tyre that's legal to fit but is a handy "out" for them.

@Banzai600 electric pumps which can inflate any tyre to the needed pressure are cheap, but none of them would be able to "pop" a tubeless tyre (especially a large width rear radial) onto the rim properly, that really needs a compressed air tank.

When I need tyres I just bring loose wheels to Cotters, they always seem to have mainstream sizes in stock at decent prices, in out bingo bango job's a good 'un.. seems the situation for bikers in the west sucks and is getting worse.

Life ain't always empty.

Thanks for everyone's input :-)

Having had a look online several times at several sites some with good reviews and some with not so good reviews

There was not a huge amount to be saved by buying online for me

I guess I wanted to change from the Off road type mixed trail tyres that were on the 500X and replace with a more road type tyre as I wont intentionally be going off road

In the end I ordered the tyres online from cotters and selected pick up instore and 2 days later I got a call to say they were in

Got the Bridestone Batleax T31 front and rear for under €300 and €35 to fit

This was after removing the wheels and bringing them in

On the whole very happy with the service :-) from Cotters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Can anyone recomend a compressor large enough to do motorcycle tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,775 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Made my own from a Transit wheel, cost about zilch…

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Well Done

Saved yourself quite a few quid there :-)

Cheers

Advertisement