Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Aikido making a comeback?

Options
  • 23-11-2023 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

There is a lot of activity in Irish Aikido communities across Ireland at the moment, with established clubs rebuilding as well as a lot of international seminars taking place with strong attendances. It's great to see and very encouraging. There is a general excitement and renewed interest building.

Aikido can offer a lot to local communities, from a relatively gentle form of exercise for adults and children, camaraderie, a mind stimulating activity, a potentially lifelong interest, education in safety awareness, a new social outlet and a cross generational activity with strong cultural and philosophical traditions.

I invite Aikido associations and clubs to speak here about their own experience and activities, especially if you are organising an open seminar in 2024. It would be great to meetup, support each other and connect with the wider aikido community for our own entertainment and progression.

vonryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Was looking to take up Aikido and came across a local number and Rang,
    found out and went BLAH BLAH

Anyway the aikido they practised, the sensei showed me the first KATA
    came across very offensive. Now i thought aikido was not really along those lines.
    The sensei said the aikido pactised at the Dojo had a little bit of Karate in it.

Has anyone any knowledge of this style.
    And do you think it's worth while taking up? though i was not looking for an offensive art.
    Yet it does look good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Don't think its proper Aikido if it has karate mixed in with it. I did a few classes of it, but they were mostly stretching and breathing exercises with one or two wrist-locks as well. One of my lecturers is a black belt (or whatever equivilant it is) in Aikido, he said you have to study for yonks before it would actually be any use in defending yourself. Anyway, after I dropped Aikido, I picked up Judo and never looked back.

So are you saying ( in a way) Aikido is a bit of a waste of time.
    I found out that the previous question i asked Abt Aikido-te the guys who run it were a load off **** and give Martial Arts a bad name in the area i live.
    Also were did you study Aikido?

Again anyone studying Aikido please post a few pointers
    I.E Pro's and Con's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Check out http://www.karateforums.com for the best martial art pro's and con's of all styles.

Appreciated Rolo.

Yet is there anyone in the forum who studies Aikido?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

afaik there is a good club in ireland, just cant find any info, im also interested in training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dave pft

Anyone know of an aikido club in and around dublin city which can cater for my friends 10 year old kid?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Why aikido?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Dave pft wrote:
    Anyone know of an aikido club in and around dublin city which can cater for my friends 10 year old kid?
    Thanks

Hi Dave,
    I don't know of any Aikido clubs that cater for kids in Dublin... but you could try these two. Hope the addresses and ph no are up to date.

Lorcan Gogan
    Public Service Aikido Club
    St Andrew's Resource Centre
    114-116 Pearse Street

Whitefriar Aikido Club
    Scoil Caithriona
    Baggot Street
    23 E York Street
    Dublin, 2
    Phone: 01 4783831

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dave pft

Thanks a mill Maeve.
    I passed on the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 VonRyan

There are many great Aikido Clubs in Ireland... do a quick Google search to discover. One I can recommend is Dublin Tomiki Aikido in Tallaght. Do a quick search to find their website or just use this URL (https://www.tomikiaikido.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VonRyan

"Dublin Tomiki Aikido" caters for children in two groups (Juniors 6 -9 yrs old) and Youths (10- 15 years old). go to https://www.tomikiaikido.ie for class times, location information etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As the forum moderator:-

I'm delighted to see some discussion of a martial art that's not Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ... So I'm not going to complain too much that a lot of older threads have been resurrected, and one club is being advertised... I think the more important principle in this forum is that we encourage people to feel free to post. I have suggested to WebDesignIRL via DM to be aware, going forward, that things are better kept current.

I've merged a few of the resurrected threads with the "Is Aikido making a comback?" new thread, but I didn't expect the chronology to be scramble.

Anyway, here is your thread for Aikido discussion, for those interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aikido gets a pretty bad rep online. If people enjoy it, that shouldn't matter. But important to be aware of the issues and decide that it is not an issue for you. But sadly many people are pretty detached from the reality of their training

Advertisement