Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving slowly but never let the build up of traffic go

Options
  • 23-11-2023 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Examples I see of this every day, when driving to and from work. A car will choose to stay at approx 50km/h. And it's a reasonably good N road with a hard shoulder but overtaking chances are few due to the occasional blind bend or oncoming traffic during busy periods. A long line of commuting traffic inevitably builds up but these drivers will happily hold up them up for 20km+ and never let any traffic pass them.

I think it leads to risky behaviour as people in a rush further back tend to overtake the long line of cars trying to get passed the slow moving car at the front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

overtaking chances are few due to the occasional blind bend or oncoming traffic during busy periods

Is it few or occasional - can't be both? Those trying to overtake when not safe are the dangerous driver, the speed limit is a max limit not a target and many roads would have a max speed that is not achievable at times but any good driver would be able to get around them on an open stretch so sounds like lots of nervous drivers behind them that can not accelerate to get ahead of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Also the muppets that try overtake a car in 5th or 6th gear at 50-60 Kmh and panic when it takes half an hour to try get past.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Oh yeah, that big time! Think that is usually a thing with newer drivers not knowing to kick down a gear for more acceleration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Your inconvenience saves them €0.02 on fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Slow drivers who don’t pull over to let others pass are the biggest pain in the ass, and they are definitely a risk on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

An N road where there are few opportunities to pass in 20km? Which N road are you taking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Isn’t driving in the hard shoulder illegal. I’d drive in it occasionally with the tractor if it’s clear but there often be a lorry pulled up in the few around here and makes it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why don't you pull over for 5 mins. Chillax. Then when you get driving again the queue will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

What a dumb, smartass response!

Traffic complaining about traffic...ironic.

• Advertisement

Traffic complaining about idiots - no shortage of them, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nope it's not illegal. Its only illegal on motorways not on national roads. That does not mean you should drive in it all the time. You only drive in it when you are slower than the traffic behind and you can drive in the hard shoulder safely to let them by. That is the only time you should drive in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe worse are the ones who toddle along at 50/60kph on moderately bendy bits and then when it comes to a straight are up to 80/90 quickly. If they stayed at their happy rate of progress, others would have no problem overtaking when safe to do so on the straights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

This happens all the time and it is both an annoyance and presents a danger when people try to overtake them.

It's my experience that this is mostly elderly drivers who probably got their license on one of the amnesty schemes.

I have no problem with slow drivers of they pull in when safe to do so.

Another thing that annoys me is SUV drivers who trundle along at 70km/h because they bought a stupid vehicle that drinks fuel at a 100km/h and they can't afford to run them, idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Slow drivers are generally rubbish drivers because they are oblivious to what is going on around them. A typical slow driver behaviour would be to dawdle along at 70 km/h on an N road, drive at the same speed through a village and blow through a pedestrian crossing without noticing that someone is crossing.

I used to do a long commute and would overtake many of these dumb fcuks every day. Another typical slow driver behaviour is to drive with faulty lights or not use lights correctly. Foggy conditions or dusk/dawn and there they are, crawling along with sidelights or blown bulbs with 50 cars behind them.

There's also a small number of "enforcer" slow drivers - they drive slowly and speed up /close gaps when others try to overtake. They should be battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

From the Rules of the Road:-

A single broken yellow line along the side of the road. This road contains a hard shoulder, which is normally only for pedestrians and cyclists. If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly (but do not continue driving in the hard shoulder) as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby. Different rules exist for hard shoulders on motorways.

If a driver is unable to ascertain if it is safe to drive in or even partly in the hard shoulder then they they are poor and also very inconsiderate drivers

It is not illegal to move over to allow faster traffic to overtake.

However it is an offence to needlessly cause an obstruction.

Some day, when not busy, I may drop a dashcam clip into a Garda station and ask that they charge the driver of the car with obstruction. See what happens

They aren't the ones telling everyone they don't know how to overtake unless people pull over for them.

If it's a 100 limit is there not more than one lane.

70 isn't a fuel efficient speed either, it's more like 56-60 drag increases massively after that. If saving fuel in a 3 tonne, vehicle with a truck engine and the aero dynamics of a brick. Seems unlikely.

If that was true they would have statistically more points for driving offences. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tphase

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP mentioned there were hard shoulders though - looking at the N59, picking a spot at random, there are h hard shoulders at that random spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Iv been in situations like that where slow drivers in cars where holding up even tractors.

Dunno what the solution is, upgrading roads & straighten bends would be brilliant.

sorry if I'm being a bit dim but what's your point?

Are you a Carmelite nun?

Are you an AI experiment?

What fing planet do you live on?

my response was getting back to my question, which you'd quoted, asking the OP which road it was - just that the road in question had hard shoulders so i don't think the one they were referring to was the N59.

I'll take that as a no they don't. But somebody does....

sorry, misread your post due to a typo - I thought you meant the N59 had a hard shoulder at the random spot you picked

The N59 does have a few sections with a hard shoulder where it's next to impossible to overtake a slow driver such as the OP described during peak commuting time (eg between Moycullen and Galway). I know someone who drives that route every day, it's not an uncommon occurance

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Baba Yaga

ah shite...that was going to be my new hobby when i retire...driving about in rush hours at about 50(or less) pissing everybody off 😁

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I don't know where the OP is talking about but I live near the N81 and at rush hour basically any attempt at an overtake would be risky if not illegal due to continuous white lines on many of the straights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

Definitely, recently had the pleasure of spending 20 mins behind someone on there who was driving with their rear fogs on, never going over 70kph but still braking down to 50 for even the slightest bend. Would drive you insane!

Advertisement