Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region 2 DVD being sold on Amazon

Options
  • 22-11-2023 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

hi guys

Im looking at buying a DVD in Amazon (Erik the Viking, a present for my wife), but I cant identify if it is a region 2 dvd/suitable for playing in Ireland. I messaged the seller and they rpelied just now saying they dont know. ANy advice for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes DVD Region 2 includes all of Europe:

Also many DVD Players out there are actually "Region Free", so they will accept any region disc. Of course this cannot be assumed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thnaks for getting back to me!

Sorry, to clarify, while I am aware that a region 2 dvd will play in IReland, my query is that I cant find out if the DVD I wish to buy is a region 2 dvd or not and the seller does not know....is there any way of "guessing" what region a DVD is?

Here are the details on the Amazon website:

Product details

• MPAA rating ‏ : ‎ PG-13 (Parents Strongly Cautioned)
    • Product Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 0.7 x 7.5 x 5.4 inches; 2.72 Ounces
    • Item model number ‏ : ‎ 1003
    • Director ‏ : ‎ Terry Jones, Julian Doyle
    • Media Format ‏ : ‎ Multiple Formats, Color, NTSC, Widescreen
    • Release date ‏ : ‎ May 26, 2015
    • Actors ‏ : ‎ Tim Robbins, John Cleese, Mickey Rooney, Terry Jones, Eartha Kitt
    • Studio ‏ : ‎ Olive
    • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B00UOYIUPE
    • Number of discs ‏ : ‎ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think the point being that if it's a DVD being sold on a European Amazon website, it's going to be region 2.

Have you got a link?

ah ok thanks, however the Amazon site IM looking at is Amazon.com and I have no idea where the seller is.

I dont know how to share the link with you wihtout my personal details so I have pasted all the product detaisl below

Erik the Viking

Tim Robbins (Actor), John Cleese (Actor), Julian Doyle (Director)  Rated:  PG-13 

Format: DVD

Product Description

Norse mythology meets Monty Python-esque humor in the Terry Jones written & directed comedy, Erik The Viking. Erik (Tim Robbins, The Player, The Shawshank Redemption), the Viking of the title, in an effort to petition the gods to save the planet for the impending Ragnarok - "the end of the world" - must travel to Asgard with a less-than-stellar crew at his side. The supporting players include Mickey Rooney (The Black Stallion, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World), Eartha Kitt (Boomerang, The Emperor's New Groove), John Cleese (A Fish Called Wanda, Yellowbeard), Terry Jones (Jabberwocky, Monty Python and The Holy Grail) and Charles McKeown (Brazil, Monty Python's The Life of Brian).

Product details

• MPAA rating ‏ : ‎ PG-13 (Parents Strongly Cautioned)
    • Product Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 0.7 x 7.5 x 5.4 inches; 2.72 Ounces
    • Item model number ‏ : ‎ 1003
    • Director ‏ : ‎ Terry Jones, Julian Doyle
    • Media Format ‏ : ‎ Multiple Formats, Color, NTSC, Widescreen
    • Release date ‏ : ‎ May 26, 2015
    • Actors ‏ : ‎ Tim Robbins, John Cleese, Mickey Rooney, Terry Jones, Eartha Kitt
    • Studio ‏ : ‎ Olive
    • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B00UOYIUPE
    • Number of discs ‏ : ‎ 1
    • Best Sellers Rank: #108,772 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
    • #13,070 in Comedy (Movies & TV)
    • Customer Reviews:
    • 4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars
    •     301 ratings

still cant see how to identify what region DVD it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

The mention of NTSC in the description would imply that it's Region 1 which could be problematic for you if you don't have a region free DVD player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

As the picture format is NTSC and you are buying on Amazon.com it’s likely that disk is Region 1. It may still work here but is not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why don't you buy it from Amazon.co.uk?

Or some other european website?

thnaks guys some good ideas there, I wasnt even aware it was amazon.com until somebody asked me baout it!

I will check out the UK Amazon site now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah if you're buying any media make sure to stick with amazon.co.uk or one of the European sites like amazon.de or amazon.fr

Here's an example of a PAL UK copy: (pricey enough DVD)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Erik-Viking-Tim-Robbins/dp/B09HRLJQZL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1JIRGSFKS3QUD&keywords=erik+the+viking+dvd&qid=1700738831&sprefix=erik+the+viking+dvd%2Caps%2C51&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

thnaks guys, I checked it out on Amazon.co.uk and plenty of options there, I really appreciate the advice!

CLosed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement