Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Venues announced for the 6N. Will be going to the French game. Who do people reckon are the top 3 to watch this year (excluding lads returning from last year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

On the Irish side you mean?

Outside of the guys returning from last year, I would think guys who have high-ceiling pro potential would be Lukas Kenny (Ulster - winger), Hugo McLaughlin (Leinster - back three) and Stephen Smyth (Leinster - hooker).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geoff2204

think stephen smyth is the real deal- have seen him play and he looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

It was what I was told at the time from a reliable source involved with the team

Well, no disrespect intended to your anonymous source, but it's bullshit tbh.

He hurt his neck in a game against Ulster in Dec 2006. Up to that point he'd been involved in the match squads for the Leinster senior team for 9/9 games, starting 8 of those.

He then missed three games in Dec 06/Jan 07, reappeared for Leinster against Llanelli at the end of Jan and was taken off, injured after 55 mins. While he was named in the Irish U20 side for the first game of the U20 6N a week or so later, he was withdrawn the week of the game with injury. He went on to miss the next two Leinster games with injury too, and didn't return for Leinster till early April.

These silly rumours that go around from anonymous, but always "reliable", sources are far too frequent here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d say Ben O Connor in terms of potential. He might be the best pure athlete in any academy right now. He was a high high end hurling prospect as well.

I honestly don’t know if he will even be in the squad but i really want to see longstaff play as well.

What the hell are Leinster going to do with all these hookers? I heard there’s a guy coming next year (ironically called tom stewart) who is an absolute beast.

To name a third guy, the ulster loosehead boyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭conquestscarer

Stewart was a big boy at school and looked very physically developed for his age, I'd wonder if that caps him at higher levels as he doesn't have that much room to physically grow. I'm not sure he has that much height on his side either. Was more his size then rugby ability that caught my eye aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I honestly have just heard his name but was told he was a big prospect.

From a Leinster POV, Sparrow, Deay, McLaughlin. McLaughlin probably because he was the best schools player over the last 2 years IMO. Deay and Sparrow as they're both shooting for a tighthead prop academy place at Leinster and it looks neck and neck between them. Spicer probably one to watch based on pure size, needs more work as a player but just has so many advantages over other players from his physique means he could develop into a special player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

What school/club is tom stewart?

McLoughlin been playing 13 for lansdowne. Played 15 in schools

• Advertisement

He came through Michaels, and is playing with Terenure (Skehan seems to have brought a number of ex-Michaels guys over there, when previously there would have been virtually no link to speak of).

Has he? I've only seen him named at wing or full back this year for Lansdowne in AIL. Played full back in the one game I was at too.

I don't think he has from the teamsheets I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

I think Skehans brother has joined the coaching team and he is involved with Michaels SCT.

For Terenure (club) you mean?

Yeah, Andy Skehan is the Head Coach of the Michael's SCT and Sean Skehan is Head Coach at Terenure RFC 1st XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

McLoughlin has only played wing or full back, I think 2 games at 15 for Lansdowne

They have Rory Parata and Andy Marks in the centre for every game I am fairly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Yes I believe Andy is helping at Nure.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

18 year old lock Alan Spicer starting for UCD this weekend.

Probably a stupid question but do you have to be a student at UCD to play for the rugby team?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The lad certainly has potential. He's got to be the biggest player I've seen from Ireland. I'm praying they can develop him like they developed Toner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Last year SCT hooker? He looked a beast alright. The skeehan connection working well for Terenure with gunne, mcirlan there too.

McLaughlin to 13 was second hand information, thought he had only been fullback myself. Person telling me could have been mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ljsulster

U20 eligible Mark Lee and Zac Solomon both named in combined academy squad for Italy tour. Joe Hopes aswell

Post edited by ljsulster on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Alan Spicer in the u19's squad for the Christmas training period, the u'20 squad will be announced mid-january I hope he makes it.

interesting to see some of the high profile under-19s that are out of school are included in 19s squad:

Calvey, Stewart, Yarr, Spicer, McCarthy, Murphy, Farthing, Hicks.

One of those is destined to end up at Cornish Pirates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That he isn't in 20s for now is possibly a good thing. A lot of talk/pressure on him with his size etc. He could be added/named to 20s next month may not but no harm if he isnt

barring injury he will be in there.

interesting that Alex Usanov not in irish 19s squad, was there in october.. Probably a certainty for 20s squad.

U19 Side:

Props:

Billy Bohan (Newbridge College / Leinster), Emmett Calvey (Shannon RFC / Munster), Tom McAllister (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster), Niall Smyth (Blackrock College / Leinster), Darragh O'Connell (Muskerry RFC / Munster)

Hooker:

Henry Walker (QUB / Ulster), Tom Stewart (Terenure College RFC / Leinster), Mikey Yarr (Lansdowne RFC / Leinster)

Second Rows:

Alan Spicer (UCD / Leinster), David Walsh (St Michael's College / Leinster), Mahon Ronan (Boyne RFC / Leinster), Frazer McKenna (St Michael's College / Leinster)

Backrow:

Charlie Coghlan (Clontarf RFC / Leinster), Aaron O'Brien (St Mary's College / Leinster), Eanna McCarthy (UCC / Munster), Jamie Jackson (Portadown College / Ulster), Ruairi Munnelly (Newbridge College /Leinster), Ryan Connolly (Down HS / Ulster), Oisin Minogue (St Munchins / Munster), Luke Murphy (Shannon RFC / Munster)

Scrum Half:

Clark Logan (Coleraine GS / Ulster), Tom Farthing (Corinthians RFC / Connacht)

Out Half:

Sam Wisniewski (Clontarf RFC / Leinster), Dylan Hicks (Garryowen RFC / Munster)

Outside Backs:

Andre Ryan (Belvedere College / Leinster), Cian Brady (Galwegians RFC / Connacht), Ciaran Mangan (Newbridge College RFC / Leinster), Eoghan Smyth (Midleton RFC / Munster), Evan Moynihan (St Mary's College / Leinster), Gene O'Leary Kareem (PBC / Munster), Jed O'Dwyer (Old Crescent / Munster), Johnny Scott (Banbridge RFC / Ulster), Paddy Taylor (Newbridge College / Leinster), Todd Lawlor (Newbridge College / Leinster), Zack Hopkins (St Mary's College / Leinster), Matt Te Pou (St Munchins / Munster), Will Wooton (Sale Sharks / IQ Rugby)

Breakdown:

Leinster: 17

Munster: 10

Ulster: 6

Connacht: 3

IQ Rugby: 1

• Advertisement

U18 Schools team and U19 training sides named over the weekend:

U18 Schools:

Props:

Blake McClean (RBAI / Ulster), Evann Shelley (Skerries RFC / Leinster), Rio McDonnagh (Wallace HS / Ulster), Max Doyle (Clongowes / Leinster), Jamie Conway (Castletroy / Munster), Tyrese Abolarin (Methody College / Ulster).

Hooker:

Rian Handley (Wesley College/ Leinster), Jonathan Byrne (Crescent College / Munster), Lee Fitzpatrick (Newbridge / Leinster), Luke McLoughlin (Gonzaga / Leinster), Conor Magee (Banbridge / Ulster)

Second Row:

Donnacha McGuire (Blackrock College / Leinster), Dylan McNeice (St Michael's College / Leinster), Fionn O'Meara (Nenagh Ormond RFC / Munster), Joe Finn (Cistercian College, Roscrea / Munster), Charlie Fenton (Crescent College / Munster), Diarmuid O'Connell (Carrick On Shannon RFC / Sligo Grammar / Connacht)

Back Row:

Bill Hayes (Cistercian College, Roscrea / Munster), Charlie Meagher (CBC Monkstown / Leinster), Joe Elliott (St Michael's College / Leinster), Callum McKinney (Campbell COllege / Ulster), Matthew Heasley (Dromore HS / Ulster), Thomas Dougan (Royal School Armagh / Ulster), Rory Lyons (Westport RFC / Connacht)

Scrum Half:

Elliott Mallon (Terenure College / Leinster), Chris Barrett (CBC / Munster)

Out Half:

Conor O'Shaughnessy (Blackrock College / Leinster), Tom Wood (St Munchin's College / Munster), Charlie O'Shea (CBC / Munster)

Outside Backs:

Cal Traynor Russell (CBC Monkstown / Leinster), Fraser Cunningham (RBAI / Ulster), Jack Deegan (Cistercian College, Roscrea / Leinster), James O'Leary (PBC / Munster), Ethan Black (St Michael's College / Leinster), Charlie Molony (Blackrock College / Leinster), Johnny O'Sullivan (Blackrock College / Leinster), Noah Byrne (Gonzaga College / Leinster), Paddy Curry (Terenure College / Leinster), Josh Gibson (RBAI / Ulster), Sean Walsh (Corinthians RFC / Connacht), Stephen O'Donovan (Bantry RFC / Munster)

Breakdown:

Leinster: 18

Munster: 11

Ulster: 9

Connacht: 3

Advertisement