Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Santa

Options
  • 21-11-2023 10:58am

Hey lads.

The kids are asking Santa for switch’s this year and we’re just not sure what games would be ideal for them!

edit;

sorry fair to say I was a bit vague!!

both boys, 5 & 9. Both into the usual craic, dinosaurs, Lego & superhero’s! Ones mad for Batman the other Spider-Man 😂

We are definitely thinking to go with Minecraft and Mario Kart (they can play together)

but not sure what else is actually any good besides your obvious Mario etc. only other thing of note neither have much experience with gaming and the youngest especially is a touch impatient to learn the controller so if there’s a really good title to help introduce kids to the whole thing that’d be cool. 😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ages?

But going by your avatar+name Pokemon could be a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You probably need to provide a bit more info like how many you have, their ages and interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Firstly make sure the games are multiplayer or there will be carnage.

Minecraft an absolute winner!

Mario kart

Others they play with are SpongeBob battle of bikini bottom.

Pokemon let's go Pikachu

Pokemon scarlet.

We also have 51 worldwide games...I got for myself , but there's some pretty cool games the kids play too!

I plan on getting the new Mario wonders game.

I don't want them playing through the internet so I steer away from those games too!

will get one each.. perhaps I’m mad to do it but I can’t imagine they’ll share one even if playing together!

that said will try get as many co op friendly games as possible so they can play together cos I reckon that’ll be more fun regardless, but when they get fed up of each other they can play on their own. 😂

yeah as for online that’s not happening, they’ve been asking about enquiring with Santa for Splatoon and some others but we told them Santa won’t deliver games that are not suitable! 🤣

have you found any of those suit the unfamiliar more than others by chance? As I say the youngest is still trying to get to grips with it and the less complicated the better for him at the moment 😅

some of those mammy has for her own switch already so can give them a bash to see how they like it!!

Joys of the switch there’s so many kid friendly games, glad they’re wanting this instead of Xbox or PS5. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario 3D World (also includes Bowser's Fury)

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario Wonder

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Rayman Legends

And for older kids

Zelda Breath of the wild

and if they like that ...

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Any adult would love those games too 👌

Expensive, but worth it, and CEX will buy them back off you for a good price if you hate them.

So, don't buy digital for these games, get the box with the cartridge. Digital is even more expensive and you can't sell, trade or swap digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

My 6 year old plays mario kart and Minecraft. Mario kart has lots of driving assists which definitely help and he has really started to get into the building side of Minecraft, it's still a bit much for him but he picked up the controls and stuff pretty quick so I think both are very suitable for your kids ages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My youngest is 5 and lives in Minecraft!

The only thing is spelling stuff, but the older sibling looks after that.

Kids are sponges with no fear so they pick up the games very quickly.

True enough, I’ve been at it nearly 25 years at this stage myself 😂 I didn’t have folks who played tho to help! I think he knows we know how to do it and so would rather not figure it out just do it for me and pass it back 🤣

have been away from the scene for a while due to work etc so said I’d check what’s big with the kids these days..

all the games I used to play as a kid I’m too responsible to let them play as an adult. 😎

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

my 8yo (soon to be 9), got a Switch 2 years ago and by far the main game he plays is Minecraft, but initially when he got it he also got Super Mario Odyssey (which was the main game he played for the first few weeks/months) & MarioKart 8 (which he's (we've) been playing a lot lately), and I've gradually added to it over the 2 years. He also has MarioKart Live (where you get a real RC car that you drive through your homemade course), and in fairness it's actually very good too if you set up a track properly (Link)

Essentials: Minecraft, MarioKart 8 Deluxe (with possibly 2 wheels from Amazon ) and then probably Mario Odyssey

Really good to have: Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury, Super Mario Maker 2 (make your own game/levels.. my lad loves this game)

Nice to have: Hello Neighbour, Mario Kart Live, Luigi's Mansion 3

For yourself: Red Dead Redemption

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think all of the bases are covered above.

The Lego Star wars and other Lego titles are perfect, as is Super Mario Kart.

Minecraft is great and, as far as I can recall, people can play together across formats so, if one is on the Switch, the other can be on an iPad, Xbox, PC and so on.

Mario Odyssey is pure bliss.

Arms is a fantastic multiplayer game, and they can smack the head off each other!

re: Minecraft, yeah there’s cross platform if you get the new version just called “Minecraft” there’s also the older “switch edition” without the cross play— but imo it’s way better than the other version.

the new version plays like an iPad game imo! It’s horrible. Bad fps etc 🤣 neither switch will ever be online outside of downloading updates, new games etc. no way are they going online 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Family sub for online if you're getting two gives you 1 tear online play and access to some super Nintendo NES Gameboy and Gameboy Color Gameboy Advance N64 and Megadrive games

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Great site has any and all eshop sales info for digital games, you can set up an alert for when a game you want is reduced.

https://www.dekudeals.com/

Advertisement