Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting BRCA risk reducing surgeries when your mental health is already at rock bottom

Options
  • 21-11-2023 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone have advice? 32F here. Found out I’m BRCA1 positive last week. Freaking out ever since. Was already suffering with severe depression and anxiety. I treat it with cannabis which I think I have to stop before surgery? Most likely going to be having a double mastectomy with reconstruction and also my ovaries removed. Not sure when yet. Really wanted 2 kids also but considering my bad mental health and the BRCA result also the fact that I’m single I don’t know how realistic that is anymore 😭😭😭 I really don’t know how I’m going to get through all this. Really concerned about the effect these 2 surgeries will have on my mental health. Don’t know if I should prioritise having kids first or prioritise doing the surgeries as soon as possible. Sick with stress from all of this.

Advertisement