Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITVBe HD, ITV1 Border Scotland HD & ITV1 Channel Islands HD to launch on Sky/Freesat soon.

Options
  • 20-11-2023 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭

The 3 ITV channels in HD were added to the Freesat test bouquet from today.

Satellite Calculations Freesat EPG web page has the following data.

ITVBe HD will be available on 11068 V 23000 once it goes live on Sky and Freesat later this month.

ITV1 Border Scotland HD will be on 11097 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK. It's SID is 21000.

ITV1 Channel Islands HD will be on 11053 H 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK. It's SID is 20720.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I don't think ITV Be was initially announced to be going HD on satellite, so that's interesting - not that I find anything of personal interest on it.

** WARNING - Technical babble below! **

So at the moment ITV have five leased transponders on 28E, three in DVB-S2 carrying HD programming and two in DVB-S carrying SD programming, as well as sub-leasing capacity from Sky for broadcasting three ITV 1 HD regions.

Adding an additional HD channel to each of their DVB-S2 transponders (11053 H, 11068 V & 11097H) will for the time being at least mean that they will be broadcasting seven HD services per transponder when those three services launch - this compares to five HD services on the BBC DVB-S2 transponders (plus a few radio stations) that use the same modulation (DVB-S2 8PSK, symbol rate (23000) and FEC (3/4).

Adding a seventh HD stream on a DVB-S2 transponder will take a small hit on the PQ of the current channels, but I doubt most viewers will notice it. In compensation, ITV could think about changing the FEC on those transponders to 5/6 from 3/4 which would give them a ~5.8 Mbit/s data capacity increase per transponder, but this requires the received SNR to be 1.5db higher than at present (9.4db compared to the current 7.9db). IIRC there was tests done in 2016 on a UK spot beam transponder with 8PSK 5/6 around the same time that both the Beeb & ITV changed their DVB-S2 8PSK transponders FEC from 2/3 to 3/4, but was switched off a few months later - I'll assume that they reckoned that even the powerful spot beam signals didn't give an adequate rain margin for viewers with Zone 1 dishes in certain cases, so that technical test was then quietly dropped.

But back to SD - currently ITV have 23 services across their two DVB-S transponders. Once the ITV 1 Broder Scotland, Channel Isles, UTV & Wales SD transmissions are dropped, that'll reduce it to 19 - still too much to fit on to one DVB-S transponder without significant picture deterioration, and even changing the FEC from 5/6 to 7/8 wouldn't really help, as that gives only a ~1.6 Mbit/s data capacity increase. OTOH I'm sure ITV would be keen to convert at least one of the two remaining DVB-S transponders to DVB-S2 for HD services. For example, an extra DVB-S2 transponder would allow ITV to move the three current ITV 1 HD regions currently sub-leased on Sky's capacity back home as well as adding the Be/Border Scotland/Channel Isles to it. The problem would be the channels that have never been in HD - in an ideal scenario you'd eventually convert both DVB-S transponders to DVB-S2 and have the +1 channels as MPEG4 SD video streams on them - but curiously there are no MPEG4 SD broadcasts on Sky's UK & Ireland platform at present, and there was a post on Digital Spy (so take with several handfuls of salt) that claimed that the bespoke "ecosystem" handling Sky's UK & Ireland digital satellite service isn't capable of handling SD channels unless they're MPEG2 & on DVB-S transponders, which if true (and if not capable of being fixed with either a software or relatively simple hardware patch) would have to be a horrendous technical oversight on their part. Anyway, I can see it in 2024 that they'll either look to reduce the ITV 1 +1 channels from four to a single UK-wide service, and maybe also close ITV Be, 2, 3 & 4's SD channels - that would take the SD channels count down to a level manageable on one DVB-S transponder. They might also give STV a nudge to get the their three HD sub-regions (East, North & Tayside) currently using Sky capacity on a FTV basis at present into becoming FTA too.

Boring tech stuff & guessing over for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Once the BBC switch off SD and the hard work is done on helping those without HD receivers to upgrade is done, I can’t see ITV wasting any time in ditching their SD channels as much as possible.

The same may go for the other PSBs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

All 3 are now testing with Video and EPG data

The SID for ITV1 Border Scotland HD is 21060, it replaced the old 21000

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭decor58

ITV has announced it will close the sd version's of 2,3,and 4 on January 9th, 2024 and that ITVbe will go HD on satellite on December 12th, 2023.

According to ITV's press release, the SD version of ITV2 will remain broadcasting on satellite for the time being - only ITV3 SD, ITV4 SD, ITVBe SD along with the SD channels of ITV Border Scotland, ITV Channel Isles, ITV Wales & UTV will be disappearing on Tuesday 9th January 2024.

That'll reduce the 23 MPEG2 SD services over two DVB-S transponders down to 16, reducing the amount on 10891 H down to just six. I wonder if in the near future they'll try and cram all those MEPG2 SD services on to one transponder (10906 V, and possibly change the FEC to 7/8?) and convert 10891 H to DVB-S2 for some extra HD capacity?

Sauce: https://www.itv.com/presscentre/media-releases/information-itv-satellite-viewers-sd-only-set-top-boxes-channel-border-scotland-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Sorry any issues with BBC and ITV HD transmissions?

Anyone know of any problems with TCL smart TVs? I can't seem to properly tune in BBC and ITV HD channels. c4 and c5 HD cause no problems.

BBC HD channels bar BBC Scotland HD, while all ITV HD channels are intermittent problems.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see ITVBe HD live as of today, had to rescan my Freesat box as it didn't come down on the usual 3am update.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭decor58

Likewise with an LG Freesat tv, manually tuned on 11067 v 23000 on a combo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Will the +1 channels be shown in HD when ITV drops SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

It would great if + ones go HD . Hopefully 5 sister channels go HD too .

• Advertisement

Given the recent cutting back of +1 timeshift services on Freeview by ITV, I'd reckon it's far more likely they'll close down the +1's of ITV 2, 3 & 4 than upgrade any of them to HD in the near future. The +1 timeshift of the main ITV 1 channel will probably stick around a bit longer, but given the general roll back of time shift channels elsewhere, it's hard to know for how long it will last - like most broadcasters they'll rather have you go to their main streaming service (ITVX) to "catch up" these days.

As for the Channel 5 UK group of stations, AFAIK all such channels are delivered in HD via Sky Glass/Stream (UK only) but only the main Channel 5 station is HD on satellite, cable & terrestrial. The channels on satellite were all moved to a different transponder not too long ago - hard to know if they're interested in having more of their channels in HD on satellite or not.

Post edited by TAFKAlawhec on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

With more people turning to streaming services it's hard to see how they can justify the existing transmission costs of +1s let alone upgrading them to HD. I too reckon they will just kill them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

18:00 ..programmes no longer available You will need to upgrade your box to view this channel in HD. Call Sky on 0333 759 5121 for a free upgrade.

That is the Now on the EPG info on the ITV SD channels at 22:30 09 January 2024. The Next shows 00:00 with the same message.

The channels are still broadcasting, and at times in the last few hours the normal EPG came back on some channels. That is on my FTA box, and I have never had any Sky.

Yes ITV is closing some of its SD channels in step with BBC closing theirs. ITV 1,2,3,4 and ITV Be are all available FTA in HD. It has nothing to do with Sky.

FreeSat or Sky viewers using SD equipment are being notified to upgrade to a HD box/TV.

They are not fully in step, because the ITV SD channels still have pictures, even though the message says "programmes are no longer available"

At 09:00 10 January the Now shows 06:00, Next 12:00 with that message. On ITV 3 and 4, and on UTV and STV.

But ITV 1 on 10905 V, and ITV 2 have the normal EPG. I didn't check any more ITV variations.

I don't have a FreeSat box but according to a user on DS, ITV 3,4 & Be SD were removed and some ITV1 + STV regions rejigged. It will probably take a few days for them finalise the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gold7

I don't have ITV 3 and 4 now on the Virgin Media 360 box. I know they were SD Channels but it is still giving the Epg for the channels.

They are gone now on my FTA box, still showing the message. UTV and STV also gone. ITV 1 on 10905 V still there, as is ITV 2.

So is that the end of UTV on satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

No these are SD channels, UTV HD is available but you need a HD receiver. 11067 Vertical, 23000, DVBS2-8PSK FEC 3/4.

• Advertisement

It's the end for all the SD (Standard Definition) versions of BBC and ITV channels. The channels in green on this site are HD. UTV HD is on 11068 V. The site is not up to date for what happened today.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

So does this mean no more ITV 3 or ITV 4 or are there new settings for these channels. TIA

Look for the HD versions in the green coloured channels on Lyngsat. Or search for them by Ctrl F (on a PC keyboard).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

" So does this mean no more ITV 3 or ITV 4 or are there new settings for these channels. TIA" These were SD ie STANDARD DEFENITION channels and are no more, they are now shown as ITV3 HD, ITV 4HD but you need a HD receiver to tune them in.

And if your living in Spain !! well that's another story

Thanks. Seem to have them back now. First time it didn't work. I must have mistyped something. Any ways all good for now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Closing are the SD versions of UTV, HTV Wales, Border (Scotland), Channel, STV (Glasgow) and STV (Dundee) as well as ITV3 and ITV4.

Sky customers with legacy equipment in the affected regions will be provided with a different region, so it appears it’s not quite the end for ITV in SD on satellite just yet.

While the info has been given in bits over various posts by different posters over the past few days, I've tried here to put all relevant info in one post...

--------

* If you have lost UTV, this is likely because it has now closed down its Standard Definition broadcast on satellite - to make it reappear again you should enter the following tuning parameters (you may not need to enter all the parameters below, depending on the receiver)...

• Frequency: 11053
    • Polarity: (H)orizontal
    • Symbol Rate: 23000
    • FEC: 3/4
    • Modulation: DVB-S2 8PSK

...the channel should be available as "UTV HD".

If you get nothing from the tuning parameters given above, double check everything and if you're sure you've entered everything correctly, you can still view ITV2 etc. it's probably the case that your receiver is SD only. If this is the case, you can still fall back on to one of the four remaining ITV 1 SD feeds (or of the two Scottish SD feeds). Those in Northern Ireland with a Sky SD receiver now have ITV 1 Granada on channel 103 on their EPG - To get ITV 1 Granada on your SD only receiver, enter the following tuning parameters...

• Frequency: 10891
    • Symbol Rate: 22000
    • FEC: 5/6

...there are three ITV 1 channels labelled as well as two STV services alongside ITV 2+1 & ITV 4+1. There's no easy way of checking which ITV version is Granada/London/Central West without either checking out the service ID number (10142 for Granada) or details of now/next programming in the EPG.

However, as the SD ITV channels will eventually disappear, it is advisable to upgrade your receiver to be HD compatible as soon as it is practical to do so.

* If you've lost ITV 3, ITV 4 and/or ITV Be, these three channels have stopped their SD broadcasts on satellite. These stations now require a HD receiver in which to view them via satellite via the following tuning parameters...

ITV 3

• Frequency: 11097
    • Polarity: (V)ertical

ITV 4 & ITV Be

• Frequency: 11068

----

* The BBC's SD channels also have now closed and are broadcasting a slate informing viewers on this. All BBC TV channels now require a HD receiver in which to view them via satellite. If you have a HD compatible receiver, the following tuning parameters below should allow you to watch the following channels again...

BBC 1 N. Ireland, BBC Three, CBBC

• Frequency: 10847

(Note: On some receivers you may find a channel label for either BBC Three or CBBC but not both - this is because they timeshare capacity on this satellite transponder. Tuning in before 7pm should give you CBBC, after 7pm should give you BBC Three, doing the tuning twice, once each side of the 7pm mark without erasing previous channels should allow you in this circumstance to tune both channels in, outside of their broadcast hours these channels will show a blank screen on ordinary FTA receivers).

BBC 2 N. Ireland, BBC Parliament

• Frequency: 10773

BBC Four, CBeebies

• Frequency: 10818

(Note: On some receivers you may find a channel label for either BBC Four or CBeebies but not both - this is because they timeshare capacity on this satellite transponder. Tuning in before 7pm should give you CBeebies, after 7pm should give you BBC Four, doing the tuning twice, once each side of the 7pm mark without erasing previous channels should allow you in this circumstance to tune both channels in, outside of their broadcast hours these channels will show a blank screen on ordinary FTA receivers).

BBC News (UK)

• Frequency: 11023

BBC Red Button

• Frequency: 10788

--------

The Channel 4 & Channel 5 families of stations are not affected at this time.

10906 V still has ITV SD channels. Including +1 versions of ITV 1, 3 and 4.

• Advertisement

What’s the frequency now for the BBC radio stations? Very handy for football commentary as they are blocked via internet!

Advertisement