Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday Drill Deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Lidl range is perfect for occasional DIY. You need to buy the battery and charger separate. The rectangle battery then fit in most other lidl tools.

Even the Ikea cordless one is perfect. Got one years ago. Has an internal battery so don't need to buy a battery.

Neither will work well drilling into walls. They don't have a hammer action. But they are much less than 100 quid. Depends what you will use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

It's slightly dear for a DIY drill but it is a decent brand, a good price for what it is and will do you for a long time tipping around doing DIY. If you get good at DIY then there are loads of other DeWalt power tools that use the same batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

I suggest you will probably need a spare battery even for DIY. I would factor that in when comparing prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

This is a very good drill, better than the one you were looking at ( metal not plastic chuck).

I've had one for years, doing a lot of diy. Bought a second one from Woodies last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Thats a good deal for that drill, and I’d also then go and get this matching Impact Driver at Screwfix: I’ve had it for a few years now and it’s my most used piece of kit for jobs around the house.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcf787n-sfxj-18v-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-impact-driver-bare/767ph

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Id had that dewalt bought from screwfix returned 3 times from memory charger went and had 2 issues with the drill.

Decided to Parkside lidl with 4Ah battery and drill and battery chainsaw much better job than the dewalt .

Ended up giving the dewalty. Good thing about parkside is the batteries are interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Best offer imo is currently this one from screwfix at €129

The actual drill is about 30% more powerful over the one in the OP and its a generally slightly better brushless drill, plus you get the second battery.

I've both the one in the OP and this one and this definitely a better drill.

Any problems with it bought from screwfix and I can just about guarantee they will swap it for a new one if it goes wrong.

Edit> One tip for anyone that doesn't use a battery drill that often is to put a note in whatever diary/calendar you use to charge the batteries every 6 months. That way they will be ready when you need them and will last for years. My oldest DeWalt batteries are now 7 years old and still taking a full charge but I have always kept them fully charged. The ideal is supposed to be 60% charge for long term storage but fully charged is a lot easier and works well enough.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, I don't think I need two tools with what little I'll be doing so far, put some screws in plasterboard to hang stuff up, attaching two pieces of wood in my ceiling to attach a small square of plasterboard to. That's a year of tasks built up so whatever tool can get me the most bang for my buck!

Thanks! This is funny as I had it bookmarked for months and it was out of stock, then suddenly it's back in stock for delivery today.

Cheers, both of these look good. What's the difference in them, I'll get one:

DCD795D2 vs DCD778D2T-SFGB

If there is a good "common bits" set let me know, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, if you're only going to have one drill, keep an eye out for a plug in hammer drill on offer. I got a Bosch Professional hammer drill on sale in Woodies for a little under €60 a few years back and while I do use my 18v Makita cordless more frequently for convenience, the Bosch can handle a much wider range of jobs, cost half the price and is never out of charge.

• Advertisement

Really not a lot in it? Both have about the same Torque ~60Nm which is the power available to put screws in (will put a 6 inch screw or longer straight into softwood no problem) but I can't see any massive difference. I'd go with screwfix on price and service. There are big differences when you move up a couple of price brackets but a brushless drill, two batteries, charger and case isn't bad for €149 let alone €129. The difference is in the chuck which is all metal on the Woodies one and the type of case. An all metal chuck is better but I've both and there is no performance difference in them and both have had hard use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Perfect thanks guys! Sounds like cheaper is better just from the basic use it will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭cr-07

Hi All,

Similar situation for myself - looking for a DIY drill.

Problem is that I want to purchase one using a One4All voucher that I have received, so I think that limits me to B&Q or Woodies?

I do a decent bit of DIY around the house, and would like one with hammer action that would easily drill through brickwork, wood, etc.

Any recommendations, or would the one from the OP suit? https://www.diy.ie/departments/dewalt-18v-1-x-2-li-ion-brushed-cordless-combi-drill-dcd776d1t-gb/5035048741382_BQ.prd

If you can get the next one up the product line then I'd recommend spending the extra money. iirc the torque on that one is around 40Nm and the torque on the base brushless models (see my previous recommendation) is around 60Nn. Always worth have a bit of spare power. That said I have that one and its perfectly fine. Only other small downside is its longer than the brushless models so not so handy in a confined space.

So with your all for one restriction that leaves anonanymore's recommendation from Woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭cr-07

Thanks for that explanation regarding the torque. Would you reckon Black & Decker are any good? I know this one is 40Nm, but would it be a good deal?

I've broken a few B&D drills in the past they just don't take abuse. An Aldi or Lidl brand power tool will be better.

The accessories just aren't worth having. I know I'm a broken record but you will never use more than say 5 of the 160 accessories and would be better off buying a 4.99 pack of drill bits in Aldi or Lidl. Drill bit break so expect to replace them.

Check your local builders merchants they may take all 4 one vouchers. I've seen a couple of deals on Einhell drills (German company make the Lidl Parkside range) that aren't bad for under €100 and much better than that B&D.

Try some of the builders merchants that have the Topline branding they may have the Einhell christmas deals and take the all 4 one vouchers https://www.one4all.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=topline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya the accessories packs are mostly a waste of time

There's only 1 or 2 in the boxes that will be used

Whoops bought DeWalt 100 pack with my drill there haha, ah only 25 quid anyway.

If thats the one that comes with a pack of PZ2 bits then its not a bad set. The problem with most sets is that you really need multiples of the the drill bits and screw bits that you actually use rather than just one. The most used bit that is easily warn out screwdriver bit is normally the PZ2 so having a few boosts the set usefulness. Keep an eye on the wear on the PZ2 bit you have in the drill and throw it out as soon as you notice the ends rounding off.

If anyone is spending a bit more money then this isn't a bad deal at €200

I'm not pushing screwfix particularly but a couple of times a year they do have some decent deals. I am pushing DeWalt as I use them myself and have had very little problem with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement