Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domiciliary Care Allowance

Options
  • 20-11-2023 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed already of late, I cant find a thread.

Just wondering, how long / difficult other parents have found it when applying for Domiciliary Care Allowance. Our child is 10, diagnosed ASD. Our contacts in the disability network told us they really don't like giving this out as its not means tested and be prepared to fight hard for this.

Seems they were right. First applied in June, keep coming back looking for more info. So frustrating and deflating.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

My son is 6, diagnosed autistic, and I receive the DCA. I think it depends on your decision maker.

I filled out the form, but at every box where I needed to give additional information, I referred them to an attaching document. The boxes were simply too small to say everything you need to say. So I typed everything out on a document that ended up being nine pages long.

So, for instance, my son is in mainstream school, is speaking and doesn't appear to have an intellectual disability as long as he is taught visually rather than verbally. He sleeps well, and eats okay (picky on consistency, but there's enough variety). So on first look, a decision maker might think that he doesn't hit the bar for the DCA.

But you just have to give lots of detail. Obviously include his diagnosis report, and make sure your GP fills out the second form so that it reflects the level of care set out in your form. I sent on my nine page accompanying document to my GP, so that he'd have a really good view of my son's needs.

And really, don't hold back on the form. Of course I hope, that with the right therapies, my son will be able to live independently as an adult. But that won't happen without the therapies. And the therapies won't happen without the DCA. So I gave a warts and all view of our daily life. We can't do days out with the older siblings unless both parents are there, as my son might take it into his head that he doesn't want to see Santa/the aquarium/do the forest walk, and someone has to stay with him. My older children don't get to do all the activities they want to do, as we simply can't afford them when we are paying €90 an hour for speech and language and occupational therapy. If we eat at another person's house, I need to bring food that I know my son will eat. He still wears nappies at night. He needs an SNA at school, and has struggled to make friends. He has fine motor skills challenges, needs an SET at school. We have more meetings with the school than we would for a neurotypical child. Our childcare options are vastly limited etc etc etc. Just be really honest and give loads and loads of information. The whole process can be a little traumatic, like going to therapy. You have to give an honest view of how your child's needs have affected you, and the rest of your family.

When I finished the form I was sort of horrified by the way I had portrayed my child, who is generally a happy, smart, affectionate little human. But the DCA don't want the balanced view, they want the downside. So that's what you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's a good few years since I was in this position but there was a solicitor at the time that made it happen for people at minimal cost and no frustration. I forget his details but there is still the Facebook group DCA warriors.

Have a look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Found it. Gareth Noble was the solicitor. Not sure if he's still involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I think he is. That facebook group is really good, if a little disheartening.

There's also two other solicitors that I saw mentioned there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Thanks for your response.

Could you send me link to the Facebook group please, cant seem to find it.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks for this JDD. Makes complete sense, appreciate it.

Hope your child is well and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The one and only

Any luck with your application? We have recently sent in a second application after being refused last year and again on appeal. We had some advice from a legal entity who said that our initial application should have never been refused. It’s awfully frustrating and upsetting. Do you know what the turn around time is at the moment for first decisions?

Hi there. We got it but after 2 refusals. It's such a ridiculous system. Nothing different in any of the 3 applications, they would just prefer if you gave up and walked away.

Keep plugging away and they will give it to you.

Took us 6 months.

Advertisement