Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect smart apps/devices to New Eir modem

Options
  • 19-11-2023 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I recently moved isp back to eir from Virgin. Since moving I cannot connect any of my smart devices or apps such as smartlife and ewelink. I'm fairly sure it's down to the modem supporting dual band 2.4ghz/5ghz.

I have tried disabling the 5ghz and renaming the 2.4 but cannot for the life of me get connected.

Has anyone else come across this and found a remedy?

As it stands if a house full of dumbed down tech, smart bulbs, switches, plugs, nothing bar the hue lights.

Is it possible to plug my old virgin modem into the eir one and use that WiFi as I know that has separate 2.4/5gjz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Shoog

If the Eir router has bridge mode (which last time I checked they did), then you should be able to plug in the virgin modem into it and get back up and running temporarily. Once you set the Eir modem to bridge a factory reset is needed to get it back to normal function so if you have lots of other settings backup first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I presume that as well as renaming the ssid you've changed the password and security settings to match the old ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

I did rename the ssid and change the password yea, not 100% on security settlings mind you I'll have a look there. And idea what the setting should be changed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'd have to check the old one to be sure but it's probably WPA2-PSK.

Is the problem that the devices aren't showing up on the new network and you haven't changed their settings directly, or that when you connect to them through their app or own networks they scan for wifi networks you can't see the new network?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

I set up a new 2.4, enter new WiFi and password into the smartlife app and try to add new device but won't connect. When I check the 2.4 WiFi connection on my phone then, it say connected to WiFi but no network available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement