Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dpf delete

Options
  • 19-11-2023 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking to delete the dpf and mapped on my insignia

Found these guys online (west coast tuning ballindooley headford road Galway

Any one recommend them or have any dealings with them, they have good reviews online

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

I deleted my dpf this year. Was far more fumey than I thought it would be.

I actually sold the car for this reason as I didn't want to be idling / defrosting the car in the upcoming winter mornings. You'd poison yourself and anyone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Why get it deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Is it not only a matter of time before this becomes an NCT failure ?

Edit, it is already a failure:

Notes

• A missing diesel particulate filter (DPF), exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve or catalytic convertor where either were fitted when the vehicle was originally manufactured, is subject to a

failure under reason for failure 8.2.2.1 (a).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭User1998

Once removed properly it won’t fail and probably never will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wouldn't it cause problems at the NCT?

It won't cause problems for the nct.

They do cause problems if the car is only ever driven about town or if something is faulty which stops thw regeneration cycle from occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Shoog

Not only is it an NCT fail if detected it's also a finable offense if caught by a roadside check. Since they are now checking OBE fault codes there is a chance they can detect the bypass by reading your ECU.

Here's the thing, if you are seen trundling down the road puffing out black smoke (even slightly) a mobile NCT inspector is quite within his rights to stop you and the first thing he will look for is an intact DPF.

Post edited by Shoog on

What a load of nonsense, there are no mobile NCT testers in Ireland. And a DPF removal doesn’t cause any additional smoke. Once done correctly it will pass the NCT and any DPF fault codes are permanently removed from the system.

There are mobile NCT spot checkers.

Removing a DPF removes its function of stopping smoke, if your engine has had its DPF removed and it has a tendency to smoke it will be very obvious that you have no DPF.

Absolutely none of these things are likely to happen, the proof been the thousands of people driving around with no DPF, but they are all possibilities which anyone thinking of doing it should be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Cordell

There is no way to remove it correctly. It's removal will cause smoke, that's why it's there, to catch the smoke. You will probably pass NCT simply because their emission limits for diesels are ridiculously high, but if they find out it was removed you will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

A DPF doesn't stop smoke, it limits the amount of soot exiting the exhaust. I've had my DPF gutted for 8 months and there's been no smell/fumes, no EML and the car drives great, the only difference is it'll throw out a bit of black smoke under hard acceleration.

As User1998 said, done correctly, There will be very little smoke. Get it done by cowboys and the car will drive like sh1t and be covering the road in smog.

And the DPF filter is gutted, box is in place, cannot be spotted while looking under the car.

Smoke cannot get out if there is a DPF present so any smoke is a sure sign that the DPF is missing. The reason many DPFs clogg is because another fault makes the engine smokey and it cloggs the DPF prematurely. Take the clogged DPF out and there is nothing to stop the smoke getting out.

Not all cases but certainly a real possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Cars can smoke for a number of reasons. White, Blue and even black that isn't DPF related.

Smoke is translucent, you can't block a filter with Smoke, it's soot i.e byproducts of diesel combustion.

I got my DPF gutted and there wasn't even anything wrong with it, just wanted the driveability benefits and no headaches from it going wrong. EGR is bypassed on my car too :)

As above, a DPF’s function is not to catch smoke. Its function is to catch soot accumulation.

And there is no emissions test for diesel cars. Only a smoke test.

As above, a DPF’s function is not to catch smoke. Its function is to catch soot accumulation.

The black smoke is soot - that is microscopic carbon particles produced by incomplete burning of the diesel.

And there is no emissions test for diesel cars. Only a smoke test.

My point exactly. And even that is very relaxed. It's an opacity test, it tests for thick smoke which can be either soot or unburnt diesel or a mix of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Goose81

Where are the mobile NCT checkers, never heard of them and Google says nothing about them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf that's nonsense. I know various vehicles with DPF stripped out. The are absolutely toxic. It has a huge impact in what comes out the tail.

You only have to sit behind a stripped diesel in traffic for 10 seconds to get a waft of it.

Very common but it's nonsense to say it has no impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭GavPJ

It is Lord Lucan and he travels around on Shergar trying to catch folk.

In most if not all cases gutting the DPF also means removing the catalytic converter, because they are in the same unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

DPF stops cancer causing diesel particulates from being emitted. Removing the dpf is a bit like having a fag outside the school gates with all the kids around. Easy to test for DPF removal or non functioning. Run a finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe and if there is soot the filter is removed/nonfunctioning. Should be a part of the NCT. Or else just look for the smokey diesels.

Run a finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe

Run a damp rag on the inside of the exhaust pipe before the test. That's the problem, it's hard to prove unless it's obviously missing, if the DPF case is there then it's simply too difficult to prove it's been gutted. They need to update the emission test limits to properly test the diesels, just as they test the petrol engines.

You can’t claim a DPF isn’t present just because there is soot on the exhaust. Its not an accurate way of testing and its not enough proof

So OP, get a petrol engined car is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

Its pretty trivial to check though if the DPF has been removed and mapped out. I can see it becoming part of the test in the future.

It's against the law as simple as that.

It's surprising that garages are even allowed to offer the service since they know that they are facilitating breaking the law.

It will become a thing that they take far more seriously as low emissions zones start to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Whocare

Must be on about rsa checkpoints but thay only Harassing truck driver.

I was talking to a person who was stopped on the M50 with regard to a faulty bumper and issued with an on the spot fine and an enforcement notice. This was some years ago and when I looked into it they were only operating around the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭GavPJ

That person you were talking to is telling lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭djan

A DPF absolutely stops black soot what many including yourself consider as smoke. Issue is NCT don't place the car under enough load for it to be more apparent or actually measure emissions during testing. It's not difficult to check for missing DPF from a testing perspective and I'd argue it should come with a very hefty fine when found out both for the owner of car and garage that facilitate this.

Advertisement