Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Available rentals have doubled

Options
  • 18-11-2023 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I made screenshots last year in late November of the daft app and I've now realized the rentals available in Dublin City are now almost double in number - double rooms with ensuite, rooms and entire houses - 90% more now.

On the other hand, number of properties for sale has decreased by around 30% since last year.

Any opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I have noticed this too, that there is less desperation from people to just rent any old room. There are lots of adds in good areas at an acceptable price who don't seem to find tenants. Just my observation without any fancy graphs.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Total number of rooms in Dublin is 1100, full rentals around 1000.

don’t think this doubled, but definitely up vs 3/6m ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Great news but still miniscule with regards to the numbers needed for a functional rental sector.

Another poster said there are 1000 properties available in Dublin. If accurate, thats less than 1% of the population of Dublin. Miniscule indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You forget there is lots of Facebook groups for example who are only for rentals. Not all rentals are on daft.

Living the life

I’m following some of these. The quantity is tiny vs. Daft. Also some are obvious scams.

Also prices are up a lot. Double rooms in D2, there’s only 2 options below 1000pcm, some places are insane 1500+ to share

demand sub 1000 is still huge

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

I had 421 properties for rent in Dublin City in the daft screenshot last November. There are 916 now on the daft app. So definitely a change.

I’d say FB “rentals” hVe no interaction with Revenue until the latter might approach the “landlord”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I doubt that it will bring much relief. If another 100k people arrive here in 2024, an extra few hundred places won't make much of an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Isn't it not the case that it is number of ads and not number of properties available? Looks like many ads for the developments owned by funds have multiple properties under the one ad so likely a bit more available. Still not enough at more affordable levels but plenty availability if you're willing to get rinsed

Good point. We should perhaps not assume that it's one advertisement per rental. Speaking to people who are looking to rent, there is simply is nothing to be had without either extreme luck or a contact.

I had a brazillian cleaner who told me she shared her apartment with 7 other people. You don't see those ads on Daft either. Or at least I havn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

More properties available but the price? Jaysus New York is cheaper!

That’s what I noticed too.

bedrooms in clondalkin 900, D2 has no double room under 1000 anymore etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How does revenue track people who work from home, but no longer live in Ireland ? Maybe this is where extra rentals are coming from ?

Yes. I think many of the slum kings are operating under the radar. I know a Romanian lady who lives in a house in Terenure, and one of the "studio apartments" in the house is home to five people. I doubt that that's all registered and official.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Piece on Newstalk recently. Eight people in a two bed flat, plus a e300 rent tent in the back garden. Nine people had to share a tiny kitchen and bathroom

Only 300? That's a steal.

I'm going to say something unpopular here, but this is the very human cost of having your house cleaned for 15 euro an hour, your pizza delivered from a take-away down the road or whatever other "menial" job the modern man or woman doesn't want to do for themselves. The state and those who can afford to indulge in the dopamine hit can harp about diversity all day, but this is all it's ever been about: cheap labour, high rents and more GDP growth.

Happy to have it because the alternative is the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You are right.

People only care about diversity when it's delivering them pizza and cleaning their house.

So long as they are not competing with them.

Well, that's one good thing about the Internet, AI, YouTube ...The poor can compete now. The playing field has been levelled.

Except for certain protected careers who would cry if any kind of technology threatened their monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Posted this a while ago, there's a general upward trend in private rentals (third group of bars from the left) from 2011 to 2022 (current year not available but trend is probably still upwards).

Telescopic altruism and a quick buck on the side...not bad eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spitty_Carragher

I have a lease for a house and have needed to advertise a room many times over the years. The most responses/interest I got was 2 years ago but it was also a time where students would have been looking for accom so probably not a true reflection.

I also had a room to rent out a few weeks ago. There was still plenty of interest, though it wasn't as crazy as before. I had the ad up for about a week and I had 545 views and 39 enquiries through Daft. That obviously doesn't include the enquiries through text/whatsapp.

I don't want to sound anti immigrant but most of the interest was from foreigners. I would say 80% were foreign.

Ireland really is a utopia for a lot of Europe. There was one guy from Spain who came to Ireland to work in a landscaping company. I can't imagine he'd be making big money but must be worth it to come to ireland to put up with the housing situation.

One thing I would say is there was less desperation from those who came to view in the last year, though most of these were women who may not have liked the room as it isn't the nicest or may not have liked me/housemates. This time last year was a bad time as people seemed to put off finding somewhere coming up to Christmas. I had the ad up a couple weeks and found no one suitable but still offered it to two seperate women who turned it down. Not surprising as I didn't really see them fitting in anyways. Another example from the time a few weeks ago was I asked the woman when she could move in and she said she'd have to give notice to her landlord and she's not in a hurry to move...though again she's a woman and wouldn't have picked her anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spitty_Carragher

Prices are still high.

I was browsing fb today and saw a post from someone advertising a room. I checked their other posts in the group.

• Person posted looking for a room in January 2022 saying they're max budget is 650
    • They then posted a month or two later saying a room is available for 832 + bills
    • Same price for same room advertised a few months later in July, 832 + bills
    • 12 months later (July 2023) they advertise the same room for 882 + bills. That's an increase of 6% in a year.
    • Today, same room advertised for 982 + bills. That's an increase of over 11% in less than 5 months or 18% in less than 17 months.

So this Spanish person clearly is shafting people. Nothing to do with "landlords" who are often demonised.

"I don't want to sound anti immigrant but most of the interest was from foreigners. I would say 80% were foreign."

Don't apologise for pointing out (one of) the elephants in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the reason not to use daft is they tripled their charges recently.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Would it not be very human cost of having a lax immigration policy?

Anyone (non EU) that wants to can come here to "study English" and do these jobs.

In other countries like Canada and Australia people need qualifications to come in and this makes their countries better places.

They get all the engineers and doctors and we end up with the workshy and pizza delivery guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the biggest influx of immigrants were Indians in 2022. i was involved in hiring someone for a technical role recently and the only people fitting the criteria were Indians living here so we hired an Indian. Massive amounts of them employed in the tech industry. The jobs are there for them so they're hired.

Also you'll see so many shops and garages etc. are staffed by Indians now. Irish people wont do these jobs, especially in Dublin, not long term anyway. So I assume managers are getting these people work permits on the basis they work for X amount of time for them, because without staff they can't operate.

Australia has a learn English and work visa option too, but I think it's only for 6 months.

I will need to rent my place out soon as moving into me moths, fun times ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement