Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up new work laptops

Options
  • 18-11-2023 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If anyone could point me in the right direction.

I manage a team of around 15 staff. I am looking to move them all to laptops in the new year and I want to have some type of admin on the system, to stop certain downloads, sites etc. but also in the case of where an employee leaves to be able to remote access/lock.

Could anyone point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Sounds like you need to hire a Systems Administrator (SysAdmin)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What's your corporate IT teams policy on laptops? You need the HR and IT department to implement this. If you don't have these departments yet you'll need them before issuing company property.

What personal use of the equipment will you allow and how will you manage this with GDPR etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Sounds like you need an IT dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Have you an IT department? Or are you the IT department? As mentioned these would usually be tasks carried out by your IT department.

I suspect you want to set this up on the cheap and don’t have any mobile device management in place such as intune.

As a very minimum you should set up all new laptops with a Local admin account and set the other users to standard accounts meaning they cannot install what and when they like.

Then when they are leaving employment at your company they should be told to hand back the laptop and it should be wiped/factory reset.

If you want to expand on the current setup and your requirements then we can probably give you some other pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Perhaps lease the laptops from a service provider that will provide a sys admin service and handle the access control for you . You'll need policies and consistency to implement this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op in my company we use Nostra, couldn’t recommend them highly enough tbh.

but plenty of similar companies who do the same. But agree with the above, any policies regarding use of equipment need to be in place before you roll new laptops etc out

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, I don't think we are big enough to warrant an IT department, or even hiring someone specifically for that task, yet.

The system admin company road such as Nostra might be a good idea.

Advertisement