Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb shed finishing

Options
  • 17-11-2023 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Running short of grass ... have a shed and silage/hay...was thinking of putting a few lighter ewe lambs in to finish..i have a mushroom creep feeder. I was thinking of putting them in and filling the hopper (they never saw meal before)...anyone experience of doing this without creating issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You shouldn't have any problem, keep the water clean to them.

It'd be different if they knew what meal was, they'd be inclined to pig out on the meal and get sick.

I'd give them meal in the creep feeder for a week on the grass first if I was doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

Done it 3 years ago to try it out, they were already eating well outside. Found they went backwards for the first while after going in but once they got going they done very well. Was feeding them some silage as well for roughage. An expensive way of finishing lambs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Better if can get them eating while outside and also nibbling a bale outside be good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

be careful of meal used, make sure it has ammonium chloride in it to avoid urinary caluli and acidossis if feeding ad lib.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Has anyone ever finished lambs on red clover silage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement