Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if you defaulted on your mortgage?

Options
  • 16-11-2023 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Supposing you had a mortgage and you defaulted on it due to illness, or because you or your spouse lost a job, what would happen? We know the main banks opperate to a different set of rules to the so called vulture funds and that is why banks tend to sell loss making loans to these funds than persue them themselves. But even if they do offload a mortgage to a vulture fund, does that mean the defaulter will lose the house? And, curiously enough, it is not just people who completely stop paying their mortgages that get their loan transferred to these vulture funds, sometimes it could be someone who missed a single payment years earlier and subsequently caught up on their payments.

Technical default can result in a loan being sold to a vulture fund years after the payments resume, as per the terms agreed. On the other end of the scale, there have been reports of people literally years in arrears, i.e. who haven`t paid anything on their mortgage for many years and are still living in their houses without any consequence. I think what happens when you default depends on your approach to the bank. If you were to send the bank manager a contemptuous scribble telling him to sing for his money, that would go against you. But, if you plead hardship and make it a real tearjerker, then you would probably be treated more favourably (obviously you would only do that if it was the case).

But my question is, does anyone who is genuine, ever actually lose their property if they default?

Comments

Advertisement