Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf 40 V Ioniq 28

Options
  • 15-11-2023 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Looking at different options...........yet again 🙄

Leaf 40

I believe suffers from rapid gate

from day 1 only has 36 useable battery

has older type battery so degrades faster

a 2019 version may be at roughly 94% battery. so about 34 kwh

relatively slow charging and rapid gate affects longer journeys

Ioniq 28

Has 28 useable battery from day 1

has a newer type battery (better cooling also I think)

a 2019 may still be at 100% battery. so still 28 left

has quick charging so longer journeys will be done quicker

High level, I guess both will bo between 180km and 220km

Thing is a 2019 Leaf 40 can be got for 13,900 up to 19,500 euro (ball park)

Ioniq 2019 is roughly 16,750 to 21,950 euro

So Ioniq 28 in cases can be nearly 3k more expensive than the leaf 40

Is the higher price of the ioniq 28 worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq is an infinitely better car. Period. I've had 2 leafs and 2 Ioniq 28!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends on your use case.

If you don't need to public charge regularly then chademo vs ccs is less of an issue. Yes ioniq will charge quicker and due to efficiency it will need less to fill compared to leaf. It also has forced air battery cooling.

If where you are going has lots of chademo then it's less of an issue but some sites are ccs only.

Base spec of ioniq may be higher, reverse camera, adaptive cruise control, heat pump. Very few reports of major issues on ioniq up to 200,000km and above. As in no expensive failures out of warranty, but warranty is good.

Everyone expects the ioniq battery to degrade less but that remains to be seen.

They are closely matched but both are out of date compared to cars with 60+ kWh batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭obi604

e.g.

2019 Leaf with 65,000 km for 15,750 from a dealer

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-40k-ev-sv-premium-auto/35517193

2019 Ioniq with 45,000km for 18,950 from a dealer

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-electric-sat-nav-heated-seats-/35276348

Leaf is 3,200 cheaper. A lot of dosh

Now I know car prices are annoyingly all over the shop from one dealer to the next, but just as an indication

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Long term resale on the Leaf likely to be terrible as Chademo becomes extinct for public charging.

• Advertisement

yeah, there is that too, but I guess resale on Ioniq wont be great either in 3/4 years with all these 60 kw+ cars coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

i agree with also. in a couple of years the value of the car would be mainly for its battery so there will always be some value.

on choice..... the answers depends on your use case.

city driving/short commutes? then leaf is your answer. it was in my case. out of 365 days in the year maybe 10 of them is where i need chademo if even that many.

however if you have any long commute or reason to go elsewhere that is alot further out then Ioniq would be better to go.

some points on the scaremongering

rapid gate only happens if attempting to do very long distances with multiple charges.... I've done 500km in a leaf over the course of a day, just plan your route.... have backup charge points in mind... allow for plenty of time. However as i said if doing this regularly... Ioniq is the car to have..... remember there is always destination chargers ( AC charging)

For the matter of Chademo going extinct: it costs about 3k to current change out the chademo to CSS, it will be some day but the reality now is there will be no new chademo points at least from ESB (plugsurfing and easygo still doing). they are not taking them away but as the units become old/defective i doubt they will be replaced like for like. So knowing that the chademo can be replaced with CCS is food for thought if holding on vehicle long term.

Great comments. most of my driving is short and I work from home. The crux is I most likely will have to do Galway - Waterford about once a month or every 3 weeks for the next while.

ioniq could be better here but like the leaf will still need a charge on the journey. Hmmmmmm, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

If both leave at 100% yes both will need 1 charge to get there

Ioniq will offer more convenient charging options and less waiting at charge points. Also less worry about broken ones too. Plus the ioniq has a way better efficiency.... With leaf you need to stick with leafspeed or take a hit on range... When I'm on motorway it's 100 or 105 depending on conditions. So be happy about that as well.... As ioniq can do better faster.

Test drive both cars, one is a saloon the other is hatchback. See what you like....

My only issue I have with leaf is with Chademo plug otherwise fantastic budget e car. I haven't looked into the ccs upgrade but wonder how it implements it due to the leaf using passive cooling. I would expect to throttle input to Chademo speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

How many km a year do you drive in total? What do you drive now? How long do you plan to keep the car?

If you are not putting on huge mileage, you will save a good bit by going for a 2017-2018 private sale Ioniq. On the other hand if you are doing 30-40,000km, I see some value in going for a younger low mileage car.

Another idea: if you are thinking of paying 20k for 2019 Ioniq, a few thousand more might get you a Model 3 of the same year.

• Advertisement

I do 20,000 km a year. Most of this is local driving. I have a 2014 leaf 24 right now, range is not the greatest and for these trips to Waterford equals 2 charges. Have it 4 years.

would plan to keep next car for 4/5 years.

the 20k is stretching me already 😬

You would pick up 2017 Ioniq 28 privately for 13k (or maybe less). Is it really worth paying 17k-18k for a 2019 model with the same battery?

A 2017 28 Ioniq is probably still a better car than a 2019 Leaf 40. At least that is how I would look at it.

noted. Thing is I see feck all Ioniqs of 2017 for the kinda money you mention.

I see 2019 leafs for that in places.

do ye reckon a 2017 Ioniq is indeed better than a 2019 leaf

I think some of the ads you see online for 2017-2018 cars are dreamers. They are up 3000 or more since August and I really cannot see why (no lack of supply that's for sure).

Those trips to Waterford will be a pain and likely to get worse as Chademo charge points disappear along the route. You should also consider an eGolf if you can find one within budget. Not quite as efficient as the Ioniq but has CCS, is better built and much more upmarket inside than either the Leaf or Ioniq.

2 Examples here; https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34847367

VW E-GOLF COMFORTLINE LEATHER SEATS

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35629092

2020 VW E-GOLF.. ELECTRIC.. AUTO.. HUGE SPEC

Hmmm, e golf never entered my head as I thought they weren’t great, but know little about them to be honest.

I just thought they weren’t rated in the EV world versus Ioniq especially.

Limited in terms of range as they only have a 38kWh battery and they were too expensive when new and sold in very small numbers here. Range when fully charged usually varies between 180km and 240km depending on weather, cabin heating and driving style. 120kph Motorway range will be even less like all EV’s. Nice to drive and the Executive version looks very similar to a Golf GTE/GTI. Worth test driving one if it works for your budget. An Ioniq is a better rated EV and cheaper but it’s got a pretty low rent interior like most Korean cars of that era.

is the 38kwh the use-able battery from the factory or is it 35.8 minus whatever?

Im not sure on the egolf but essentially seems on a par with the Leaf 40 and Ioniq 28, maybe its in my head, I just cant link a golf as being electric, too used to seeing it as petrol/diesel, just seems a bit meh - but the other 2 are hardly ferrari's either :)

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Have you looked at id3?

20 000 euro, https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id3/35636390

I think it wiser to spend 20k on that car than 15k on something short range and going obsolete, the ID3 will get more numerous in the 2nd hand market and in a year or 2 it will be impossible to get any value for a leaf or ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭omicron

Or a 2019 Kona 64kwh for under 20k, several of them on done deal although higher mileage than what you're looking at.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads, ye have me flustered 🥸

suppose my ideal budget would be about 13k !!

now pushing to 20k+

that 20k id3 is the lowest of the low in terms of price so probably add 2k to that realistically

all valid points but not sure I can justify 5,6,7k +

you linked to a 2019 for 19k, for another 1250, you get twice the range and a year newer,

I put myself in your shoes, Galway to Waterford, 230 km, worked out fuel cost and electricity, looked at ioniq phevs, all more expensive than the EV version (strange that, considering the waffle on this forum) so threw that out.

Now looked at what your getting, leaf or ioniq, short range and obsolete, If I was going for fully electric, range for euro value, followed by depreciation would be my 2 concerns, the leafs are at the end of production, nissan dropped prices by 5 k, better charging cars with better batteries,

The ioniq, short range and way over valued, with current depreciation on ID3's and kona's (the EV version) the ioniq value in my opinion will not hold, why buy a 200km car when for 2 or 3k more you get a 400km car.

thanks For input. What car is 1250 more? (Or what example are you referring to here)

what car do you recommend overall

1050 euro more, sorry.

your ioniq for 18950 in your post https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-electric-sat-nav-heated-seats-/35276348 , id3 here for 20000 https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id3/35636390

Less public charging the better, I worked out it will cost around 15 euro for Galway to Waterford in a ioniq, a ordinary hybrid would do it for 21,

If you want cheap driving the longer range means less public charging.

It depends on what other driving you do, for me it would be a phev, probably a niro or prius, more expensive than your budget, but the niro phev would do galway to waterford for 18.50.

I honestly think the ID3 or kona or niro would be better value long term over the leaf or ioniq.

eGolf Battery is 35.8kWh with 32kWh usable, my mistake. The Ioniq has 28kWh usable. Very little in it. I’d suggest you drive all 3 cars and make up your own mind but for me the eGolf is the better drivers car. The Ioniq would be the most sensible choice as it will be the cheapest to run. I would avoid the Leaf because of Chademo unless it it was really really cheap and I was prepared to run it into the ground.

ah ok, noted, thing is we have a diesel car in the house too.

But would still need the EV car to do the Galway - Waterford about once a month

good call out too on the less public charging the better

How about getting rid of the diesel, keeping the leaf?

na, herself needs this for long journeys and unlike me, she has no interest whatsoever in charging etc, she just wants to get in the car and drive whenever she has to at a moments notice

Post edited by obi604 on

wonder are there many or any 39 kwh kona's around? this should do the Waterford - galway trip

and if so would they be a bit cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Done deal seems to default list Niro battery sizes as 39kWh and some dealers/sellers dont know or lie so it's hard to know battery sizes without checking the car.

Advertisement