Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting trees

Options
  • 14-11-2023 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

Good some good whitethorn trees about 5ft that I'd like to plant in different area,

Can they be transplanted successfully and if so hows it's done correctly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

Should be grand. Try to get enough roots as possible with the tree.

Make sure the new site has decent soil and dry. No harm in putting a sprong full of dung underneath the new tree site. Keep watered in a dry time. Try to avoid frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

And if they don't grow next year, leave them alone till the following year. Happened here. A whitethorn I transplanted, came alive in the springtime well over a year after I moved it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

In July 22' a neighbour decided he'd transplant blackthorn bush's growing a long the brow of a shok. He has his own digger.the following week the heatwave landed & I knew he had been on a fools errand.

They looked as dead as a corpse the whole season after bar maybe two of the bush's which had some limited green leaf on them.

Time pasted anyway & this season past everyone of them were in full leaf, mad alive. Transplanted in the middle of a good summer, with a heatwave immediately after, he wasn't watering them at any stage either. How they lived, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I’ve done it with 20 year old beech trees and it was successful. Probably more successful than rootball mature trees I’ve planted. They were pulled and planted within 48hrs. White thorn is such a hardy tree you should have no problem at all. Best of luck with the job anyway. Have some 8yr old oak I have to do next month . Hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭standardg60

Should be absolutely fine to do, especially now when they're dormant.

Biggest danger is windrock so stake them well and/or shorten back the branches by a third to a half depending on whether they're one stem or multi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement