Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Aircraft Scale 1:200

Options
  • 14-11-2023 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to purchase some model aircraft and want to know if any enthusiasts here use any particular website?

Looking for current airline carriers of a scale 1:200

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I take it you are looking for Die cast display models, rather than airfix style plastic kits?

It can be quite a pricey hobby, but also very engrossing. Tracking down a particular model can take ages and also be a bit of craic.

In Ireland, Airline models in particular can be hard to find in-store, but Banba models in Dublin and diecastmodels4u in Galway would be good places to start.

Ray in Galway is always helpful. I'd also recommend paying a visit to a few of the diecast model shows that are held fairly often around the country.

Online, there's aircraftmodelstore.co.uk, aviation megastore.co.uk, marksmodels.com, flying-tigers.co.uk, and loads more. I've seen some ads from TEMU too that show 1:200 airliners but I've not had a look there yet.

Loads of info on where to buy and upcoming releases and mods are available on diecastaircraftforum.com

I do collect but my own tastes are military and 1:72 & 1:100

I hope you find what your after and enjoy the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Thanks so much for all the information.

I have a daughter that has a serious interest in airplanes and wants to start a collection.

It could become alot more expensive if she decides she wants to fly them herself.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭VG31

I collect 1:200 models, although I haven't bought any for a year or so due to space constraints. I've bought from these sites:

I also used to use eBay a lot before Brexit but it is still an option for purchasing from Germany and other EU countries.

You're more than welcome, always great to see young people get an interest in a hobby. If you want to start cheap and cheerful for her, definitely take a look at AliExpress too, and as I mentioned earlier TEMU( I can't vouch for TEMU, never used it personally tho).

If you ever have the opportunity to fly out of Shannon with her? They have Mike Kelly's amazing collection on display and he is often there himself and always happy to talk to people and share his interest. His collection used to be airside, but I do think they've moved some of it over to landside so you can see some of it without needing a flight. There is also a great viewing gallery that gives wonderful view of the apron and flight ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Mark's Models, which has shops in Dublin and Cork city centres, and also Greenogue near Baldonnel, sells diecast aircraft models of different scales and would be worth visiting if any of these locations suits you.

• Advertisement

This might be of interest to the OP, some well reviewed 1:400 pieces, from a store on Ali with a 97% positive review.

Some nice bits there and very reasonable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I got 6 1:200 models on scale model store last week.

son is gone crazy for aircraft this year.

Got all metal models, for like 260 euro.

got them in the sale section.

i don’t know much about models but i thought they were good value compared to the price of some of the plastic ones?

I got a nice Iran Air 747-SP which i think will look the business 😁 for 75 euro I think.

i got an ANA 737-500 for very cheap i think 50 euro.

The more I was browsing the more I started buying for myself , and not for presents, there some nice stuff there.

Arrived today

Boxes are nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Yes I got 3 delivered the other day. Nicely packaged. They are plastic but she is only starting out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement