Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range Cooker

Options
  • 14-11-2023 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice if possible. Have a really old Rangemaster which is on its last legs, 100cm wide. I am looking at what is best option to upgrade to? looking at energy rating especially due to power etc and it can be on a lot of time with a big family

At the moment the current rangemaster is heating the room while cooking the food. I looked at the Smeg which is big money but has Thermo-ventilated cooking which seems to be that no air enters or leaves the oven? just wondering would this save money?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I was working in a house one time and the lady had just got her refurbished range cooker delivered and fitted the previous day, the plumber called while I was there and commented "oh, so you bought a new one afterwards". No she told him that's the same one refurbished, he examined every single aspect of it and found it hard to believe it was the original one he had seen some weeks previous. He said he was only sorry he didn't put a mark on some part of it that would have proven it was not the original.

I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the company that did it and the lady has since passed away but it might be worth your while to google getting it refurbished, I know it was a lot cheaper than buying a new one and it came with a new guarantee.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Thanks, I guess that is the one which also heats the house? My parent have that and got it reconditioned.

The one I have is a standard electric over/hob. Think it is a Rangemaster 110 pofessional from circa 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So based on the energy rating the new Rangemaster and the Smeg are both A

Nexus SE 110 and a Meg Victoria TR4110IBL2

The two main ovens on the Smeg is 1.13kWh/cycle 0.77kWh/cycle, 61l ovens

The Rangemaster seems to be 1.01 KWh/Cycle 0.88 KWh/Cycle, 79l

Then the main oven is fan only and again it is 0.83 KWh/Cycle, 79l oven

Had a quick look at the Belling cheap models. They only have a fan and a conventional over. Rating are 0.88kWh /cycle 71 litre and 0.79 kWh/cycle for the fan over, 65 litre.

So for the extra you are not actually saving anything energy wise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Smeg are vastly over rated in my opinion. about 10 years ago we bought a Smeg toaster thinking we were buying a premium product that would last a long time compared to the other brands one fifth or less of its price. It was the dearest toaster ever and after 3 years and then some ripping apart it is now a flower pot for petunias, it'll cope admirably with the Irish weather but won't make toast for long.

Had to repair the fan in a Smeg oven just after the warranty was up as well not long after, made from cheap tin.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement