Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what will happen to BBC when it goes HD only on the Irish Sky+HD box?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

If you have a later television it more than likely would have DVB-S already bult in (free to air satellite) and you will more than likely have a USB socket on the telly, pop in a USB stick and you should be able to record down onto it (bbc1 as well i should imagine) again though because BBC channels are all going to go over the HD only you will most probably have to find/do a search on all the HD stations in setup as (if it finds them) the BBC SD TV channels will be blank

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Windowsnut

A humax foxsat freesat receiver works every bit as good if not better.

It isn't limited to the record 2 streams at the same time either, you can record multiple channels provided they are on the same band as the two originally being recorded - VL, VH, HL, HH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Two different films in the same timeslot tonight BBC2 SD and BBC2 HD. Thought they only changed for regional programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

One was BBC Two England (the SD one) and the other was BBC Two Northern Ireland (the HD one). There are often different films and programming on the 'nations' versions of the BBC in order to fit in shows like Sunday Politics Northern Ireland, which was shown at 11.30pm last night.

I added BBC One London HD to other channels today , so that should be OK now when SD goes off the box - only caveat is that I cannot live pause/rewind etc because its in 'other channels' - but it will be handy if 141 BBC NI has something (some regional programme) on and there is something different on BBC1 London.

BBC One HD London 10818.00 V DVB-S2 8PSK 23000 3/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Dan Steely

Anyone know if The One Show is permanently gone from BBC1 NI HD?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No it’s back tomorrow.

BBC NI are pre-empting the Monday edition to show Hope Street, that finishes next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Question! I have a cheapo lidl silvercrest SD sat receiver which is attached to a hi fi just for the radio stations (handy to listen if the footie is geoblocked on the internet) and I was wondering if I will still be able to receive the radio stations after the BBC switches off SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

20 BBC radio stations have been testing on DVB-S2 muxes, ready to change over next year sometime. It depends on whether your receiver can tune DVB-S2 channels.

Try tuning in 11024H 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK, some of the BBC radio stations are there under the names 8961 to 8966. If you can receive the versions of BBC Radio 4 (8964) and 5Live (8965) on there, then you should be fine.

You will lose them on January 8th when the BBC removes all it's output from the SD transponders. You'll have to get a DVBS2 capable receiver to get them. These receivers are HD ready as well (not that it matters for radio channels). Tuning details:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

I'm using one of the older non hd sky boxes for freeview channels in spare room. If I buy a newer sky hd box will that still work as a freeview option for these BBC's etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭decor58

The HD box will work as a FTA receiver but depending on where it had been used previously, Ireland or UK, there will be regional UK variations, that will dictate the channel lineup. On an Irish box BBC1 will be on 141 or a high number and ITV won't be available, a UK box will give a BBC1 regional variations. A work around on the Irish box is to get a UK viewing card, this will reassign the fta channel number.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Thanks for that.The one I'm using was was the older version sky box which sky replaced for me with the sky+hd years ago and that one with subscription had RTE1 on 101 as you describe,the older one I hooked up and the channels appeared as BBC on 101 etc without a card.That could be ten years ago though or whenever those hd boxes came out so I'm sure its changed a lot since that.I'll try a hd box from here and see what happens,probably not too difficult to source a viewing card if it needs it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Is BBC still available via satellite directly to TV? I can see ITV, C4 amongst others are working but all I see are numerous BBC SD channels not working. Is the only way to get bbc now via HD boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Unless you have a TV with a satellite input incapable of receiving HD (MPEG4) then you can get BBC HD channels just as you do any other unencrypted channels on it.

You probably just need to re-tune it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

I disagree that it is a stupid decision by them, or for any station to go HD only. As far as I'm concerned, HD is the future as more and more HD equipment will be manufactured instead of SD, so they might as well go HD only before it inevitably will be all HD equipment only available. It's a wise decision as far as I'm concerned. Anyone in the meantime who is still using old SD equipment, tough luck, you're going to see more and more stations going this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who still has SD only Tvs in 2024?

I think I tried to get BBC Radio 1 the other day on FTA ... and it was Silent - so that has gone yeah is it on FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

Annoying to lose the SD channels.

My planner is full of films and the HD options take up WAY more space - meaning less films recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

If the idea is to keep such material for long-term viewing, PVRs, at least of Sky's variety, were never really designed for this in mind, as when the PVR fails, all the programming that was "stored" is gone also. Used to be the case that transferring such material to a separate HDD/DVD recorder (or even at a pinch a VHS recorder) was the go to, but even these options are few and far between now. HDD recordings from generic FTA receivers are less hassle in this regard, but the cost of HDD for storage is now quite cheap that multi terabyte drives are are a relatively painless upgrade option for most people.

There is of course the variety of streaming services - but you'll always be at the mercy of whoever has the rights to said material at the time, and these can always be changed/removed/altered.

Ah, no. Watch and release. I used to record on to VHS but that went wrong years ago. Haven't looked into other options.

A crammed planner of 120 films from Sky, BBC, Irish channels, Talking Pictures TV, etc., and I'm always running out of space to record stuff. For old films from 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s you don't need HD IMO. SD is perfectly fine and allows more recordings to view at one's leisure.

I suppose I can see the broadcaster's view in wanting to move with the times and standardise their offerings though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Movies were always shot for showing on huge screens to cinema audiences.

Equivalent resolution of even the earliest movie is still better than anything a TV can do.

The terms SD and HD have always referred to television and the current tech ( SD ) vs next better tech ( HD )

from the link above , "SD" and "HD" terms have been in used since 1933 and what each means in terms of resolution has been constantly shifting.

As of right now , SD is now 1080p , HD is 2160p , and anything lower is obsolete and rightly being phased out , its not like people werent given enough notice , 480/576 has hung around a lot longer than it should have.

As screens become better , lower resolution recordings look worse , so no point in having a hard drive full of recordings at an obsolete resolution , as anything worth watching will be available somewhere in a format that looks good on todays tech.

I'm aware of the televisual evolutions, and understand the broadcasters moving with the times.

I don't need to see every pore in a film noir or every shadow in a 30s horror. Lower definitions are fine for the vast majority of older films.

But you do want to see it right ?

Obsolete SD resolutions look awful on a UHD screen , which is pretty much all you can buy these days , pretty much unwatchable.

They dont even look good on a phone.

Edit Film 4 have been showing the Ealing comedies in the afternoons lately , they look bloody awful in " SD " , whereas all the ealing comedies have been available in better resolutions for years and look pristine in the better format on a modern screen. Film 4 is 1080p but not on FTA

Post edited by andy1249 on

• Advertisement

Read the link I posted above , that definition is a constantly moving target , and the definition of HD you just posted is 20 years out of date.

Advertisement