Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Game Awards 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably the best news to come out is the God of War Ragnarok DLC. Was getting the urge to replay the story again anyway, so might throw myself into it over the weekend then do the odd Valhalla run here and there too.

I was curious what way they'd go for DLC; would it be Kratos, or Atreaus, or what would the do? A roguelike mode focusing on the just the excellent combat in the game, with some type of wrap-up for Kratos' Norse Mythology journey, that's probably one of the best scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I usually enjoy catching up on TGA but that was a shyte fest. Between boring games, boring presenters and devs getting played off after 10 seconds, left a bad taste.

I'm very interested in Lost Records, great Life is Strange vibes off it. Also the Dredge x Dave The Diver collab looks great but no good to me as DtD isn't on console.

Final Fantasy Rebirth looks brilliant.

Disappointed no Death Stranding 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

FF7 rebirth leaning into full on nonsense territory(but that’s to be expected I suppose).

As long as the combat is as good as the first one I’ll enjoy it, it’ll be interesting to see what cosmo canyon, the gold saucer etc are like too.

So if you won an award, you got a 30 second countdown timer for your speech and then it starts flashing "please wrap it up". Damn that sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Thread on resetera.com about how awards were treated and Kojima getting 10 minutes to show off no gameplay on new game. This sums it up brilliantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I thought there were some interesting announcements, but nothing that got me out of my seat. Purely on the back of who's developing them, I'm interested in Windblown, Blade, OD, MH Wilds, Exodus, Lost Records, and No Rest for the Wicked. And it's about time someone does something with Jurassic Park other than Lego games and zoo management sims. But yeah, hard to get excited with so little gameplay on view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Particularly ergregious was larian dedicating their award to members of the team that died and then being booted off mid speech.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah a lot of the stuff we knew about or had no gameplay.

Some decent Japanese stuff. The metaphor game looks interesting and Altus don't normally make a bad game but will be interesting how they handle a Xenoblade type game. Monster Hunter Wilds looked like a blast.

The new mana game could be good. Most mana games have been really bad (and secret of mana is wildly over rated imo) but trials of mana was surprisingly brilliant and this looks to be iterating on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’d be more honest if they just dropped the awards and called it something like ‘Winter Game Ads Fest’ - it really is just yet another shameless marketing event desperate to be considered something more respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yep this seems to be the consensus with most people or at least just have an awards only show, no trailers or game announcements and have separate show with just trailers like summer games fest

• Advertisement

That's a really reductive view of the game awards. You've purposefully ignored what the game awards are all about, fawning all over Hideo Kojima.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They also give Flute Guy a platform, so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

SEGA have a huge amount of IP.

I'd forgotten all about Golden Axe. Interesting to see how a 202x version of that turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It really is just all a mess of Keighley's own making. He clearly wanted his Game Awards to be the Game Awards, and no doubt spends huge money trying to secure big game reveals/trailers, guest appearances, big glitzy show etc. Now he has to pack the show with as many trailers and ads as he can to try cover the costs to the point where the awards are just thrown out quickly in between trailers to justify still calling the show an awards show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It does seem at least the developer backlash is rather more fierce this year - Keighley has gotten away with murder for years by making his events both more dominant and ever more shamelessly corporate and marketing-driven, but hopefully the anger over this year’s event from some very prominent people in the industry will at least mean the DEVELOPERS OF THE GAMES BEING AWARDED will get more than 30 seconds next year. Not that something like this will ever be something the public should be watching straight through (like any awards show, frankly), but at least give the people in the industry their moment to shine and celebrate.

Yeah he said he recognised the music was being played too early from the start and he told them to give more time which is bollox. Said they'll have more time next year. It's good to see the backlash alright except for a few YouTubers who are singing his praises desperate for an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Some amount of butthurt Sony fanboys ranting about Spiderman 2 being snubbed. I mean it is game of the year material any year and secondly, it's the game awards. They can't be taken seriously.

Advertisement