Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABC to XTC with John Connolly

Options
  • 13-11-2023 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭

I know that I have mentioned this radio show within a few threads. I think it deserves its own thread. You may well say what is wrong with just including it within the RTE Gold Discussion Thread! After all, I have done that kind of thing to other posters! There are at least two answers to rebut that. Firstly, it started as ABC to XTC on 2XM, another of RTE's online (formerly digital) stations, so it was not always with its current radio station RTE Gold. Secondly, if RTE Gold is dropped, this show may want to continue somewhere else.

Anyway, I would like to discuss the value of this radio show. John Connolly plays a wonderfully eclectic mix of songs from the late 1970s and the 1980s. It straddles post-punk, new wave, new romantics, synth pop, reggae, ska and some other genres too! John plays a mixture of well-known, forgotten and largely undiscovered songs. The eclectic mix reminds me somewhat of my personal favourite station from the 1980s Capitol Radio/Nitesky Radio (pirate of course!). It would be more the Capitol Radio side, i.e. not necessarily restricted to more alternative sounds but all inclusive. John Connolly's knowledge and passion for his music is clearly evident (just like Capitol in fact). He also has a nice line in dry wit (think of the name of the show for example!)! Did John have previous radio experience before he turned up on RTE's digital stations? This show slowly became a must hear program, and I tend to use the playback facility as I rarely get to hear it when it is first broadcast between 5pm and 6pm on a Saturday.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Nothing to add Declan as you have summed up that show perfectly. From the document that RTE released about an hour ago, I think the show will continue on demand and on RTE Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dont know about previous radio experience but he is a massive music fan. He gave away a superb collection of music compilation CDs with some of his Charlie Parker series of novels. I've bumped into him at gigs and hes super friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

ABC to XTC was back today after a break over the Christmas period. I think it is the eclectic mix of songs that make it such a great listen. Even when I don't particularly like a song, I know that there is a good chance that I will like the next song, and the mix makes it somehow more bearable! I would suggest, though, that you use the playback facility rather than listening live so that you can skip those songs! Another thing I like about his selection is that John Connolly often plays some of the less played songs by the better known artistes on his show.

Advertisement