Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land investment

Options
  • 12-11-2023 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

How much is an acre of land to buy? Looking at options to invest and curious to see what’s out there! Anyone invest in land the last few years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

u’d be lucky to buy it for €20k an acre at moment. Any u can’t lease it tax free unless u own it for 7 years. So u would probably rent it out for €250-300 an acre but pay tax at your tax rate on it. So it’s not a get rich scheme if that’s what your aiming for

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭lmk123

Not trying to be smart but that’s like asking how much is a car! It’s different everywhere, the poster above mentions €20k/acre whilst I know of a farm in my parish that’s up for sale for 12 months without any bids. If you want to invest in land I’d say look at Local Area Plans and pick out parcels that may be developed in the coming years for housing etc. I really don’t think buying lad to rent to farmers would be advisable, massive high risk investment with low returns for it, maybe I’m wrong just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

land sold beside me recently for 7,500 acre good value. it was a 60 acre parcel. another 38 acre but sold for 270k last week also decent. carrot and patatoe farmers offering 500 euro an acre last year. surely after 10 years their would be a good whole in your bank loan at 19,000 /year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There might be if that rent was actually achievable, if the spud man decided to plant spuds in it year after year, and if you had a nice bank manager that didn't charge you any interest.

Land that is being sold for 7,500 an acre is very very likely not suitable for planting spuds

Yeah south Meath land, within a few miles of Boyne, so you get picture. as good a land anywhere in meath/kildare/wexford. carrots going for 550 this year an acre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The reason they give the big money is the constant need for fresh ground and it's up to the landlord or next tenant to level the land back up.

Potatoes on fresh ground you'd get two years then you'll have to move on for eelworm.

Could always get 600+ an acre for fresh ground in this area up to about 5 years ago.

But there is a reason for that too and a reason why lads are still slow to rent it to them. I have no idea what they have been giving the last few years.

It is basically a once-off though.

I'm still surprised that there is land being sold for 7.5k an acre in south Meath when newspaper articles would have you believe that 10k an acre is the norm in the likes of Roscommon or Leitrim. You'd be lucky to get a decent bit around here for less than 20k an acre these days.

I would say it should have been in farming independendent this week or last week. its strange dairy men didnt go in for it and dive the pprice mad, maybe they are overstretched. it was a beef, tillage and sheep farmer bought it locally

Might have been an issue with it. Was it a receiver sale or otherwise forced?

The only other time in recent years I saw reasonable land asking that price was for a receiver auction where there had been an associated court case for an injunction preventing the previous owner from harassing and threatening potential buyers

no just an executer will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

the money supply must be drying up so, that's a very reasonable price per acre for the buyer if its the kind of land you mentioned.

maybe lads are finding it hard to borrow, have less cashflow or are copping on/getting cautious...between 7.5% stamp duty and 1-1.5% legal fees on top of it land can be a very expensive proposition ...

Post edited by amacca on

I think it would need to come down and stay down if my communion money would make a dent in the below

~7,500 per acre for two handy plots of land in the same area in South co Meath does seem a huge exception though. I don't think well located good land went down to that even at the lowest point after the crash. It seems very strange that the executor let it go on the day. Maybe they were worried though that they'd be on the hook if it wasn't sold.

it was complicated, was always going to go

prob just not enough local interest, mentioned before this area is not massivley overran with young farmers with interest in their families farms just not a huge agricultural culture maybe it was too easy to get work in dubllin or educated and get handier jobs for huge money on your doorstep that left so few younger generation to bother with good sized , quailty farms. the Land Commission families from Galway, kerry and Mayo always seemed to be the ones to grow and thrive, vast majority of those got 25 acres and a small cottage and nearly all grew them into 100 plus acre farms by the 1990s. there was always neighbouring land for sale. definitley a huge culture difference to down the country even to go into a rural pub in south meath and get people chatting about farming who were actively farming could be a push. the big tillage operators usually lease 4 or 5 famrs oof 50-150 acres off families whos children dont want anything to do with muck or shitt. by the way if your every up this way and want to know a Lnad commision farm look out for Mayo flags in summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I'd say I'm not too far from you. I'm from the very tip of north west kildare. My missus is a Mayo woman and when I dropped her to the train in Enfield for the last final they were in she said it was like being at home lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That'd be fairly sickening if you'd just bought bad/average land for nitrates for the same or maybe a lot more money!

update on land for 7500/acre, it was land down a laneway without hope for planning permission on it, prob a huge factor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Twud still be double the money down here if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I'd swop any day for "Meath of the pastures, from the wet hills by the sea".

• Advertisement

Are farms of bad land (or even hill farms) subject to the same nitrates levels?

I was looking at daft out of curiosity. I looked at the map of Ireland and filtered for farms greater than 1m advertised. I saw a 630 acre hillfarm in the west.

Could you theoretically get a big dairy farmer buying the likes of that just to nuke his nitrates obligations? Hardly?

It has to be within 30kms of the home place I think. It's all some bs crap when you think of it. The dept, farmers, advisors, everyone is going to be tied up in knots.

But if it was within the distance, would that be allowed? Is an acre up the Galtee mountains counted the same as an acre in the Golden vale as regards potential nitrate usage/requirement?

You probably have plenty of dairy farms in Cork within 30km of hill farms

Probably SAC land or hen harrier land wouldn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Theirs something going to be brought in re grazing platform stocking rates for 2024 I reckon, been talked that any land further than 3km can't be classed as grazing/milking platform

The fact they are leaving this till next year to announce is a farcical aswell, but it's death by a 1000 cuts strategy they're are implementing and are doing it very well in fairness to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

I still don't get this. Partly housed herds? Fully housed herds? If partly/fully housed herds are moving the slurry beyond the 3km barrier is that not the same thing?

The stocking rate implemented would want to be at north of 3.5 cows to the hectare or it will be disaster around here for lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭jaymla627

When does logic ever come into in fairness, maybe if your stocked well over the 250kgs/organic n ha on your platform they'll have a rule re no slurry/dung allowed on milking block, if you need to keep cows housed for a minimum of however many weeks a year to get under the 250kgs/ha you'll have to do that on paper anyways....

Their getting extremely good at thinking up ways in fairness to get numbers cut back

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Jack98

3+/ha would be fair as once you get to 3 you’ve to be on top of everything to have grass infront of cows. Know a good few guys around drawing grass from everywhere with zero grazers and huge money spent on yards and machinery would be very bad form on the likes of them even if you don’t agree with that system no farmer deserves to be forced to go bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sandman30

My understanding is they're not going to cap the stocking rate on the milking platform, but land further than 3km would be capped at 170kgs N, so not available for derogation. It would have the same effect of cutting numbers though. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Jack98

Yeah I read that somewhere too, we’re around the 220 mark this year but all our land is in the 250 maps for year ahead. Planning for no derogation here after 2026 anyway can’t see it staying at all. Land should lose some value as a result as it won’t be as productive naturally.

Advertisement