Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive noise from Generator - 7 days a week

Options
  • 11-11-2023 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, seeking some advice.

I have already filed a complaint form with my local authority.

There is a generator running on a constant basis near my apartment block. I have reported the matter to the management company, who is fairness got the builders to move it recently.

Whilst I appreciate the site has to have some sort of security and the guys need heat & light etc. I feel that over 7 days a week (on at 9am until 6am next day) is excessive. Albeit the site may be cleared soon as they near end of completion, however, this is not something I want to live with it for months.

Am I being unreasonable? I thought construction noise has to cease after 6pm and none on weekends?

I have not personally approached the site as I feel nothing will happen that way, especially at the weekends.

It is the constant humming from the generator that is annoying, it is extremely quiet here at night, the sound echo around.

Any thoughts? do they need to knock it off at 6pm? or is it not deemed noise pollution....

Ta

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Check the condition on their planning for complying with the BS Code for noise during the works.

The lodge a complaint with the planning enforcement section citing non compliance with that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

What do you suggest they use to power security system, flood lights etc? Often mains power is only available after the building is finished with some buildings finished still being run by generators.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They should or can apply for a temporary connection from ESB to power the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 username insert here

Hi, just to update. I received the following from my local council. The noise has completely stopped now. It was on up until. New year day, 1am on Xmas day.

Seems all sorted now.

I wish to inform you that a Warning Letter pursuant to Section 152 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, issued on the 19th December 2023, in relation to your complaint regarding the above-mentioned location.

The particulars of the Warning Letter are as follows:

This alleged unauthorised development consists of:

• Non-compliance with Condition No. 1 of Planning Permission FW18A/0110 which states:

The development shall be carried out in its entirety in accordance with the plans, particulars, specifications and information lodged with the application, additional information received on 9th November 2018 and Clarification of Additional information received on 13th March 2019 save as may be required by the other conditions attached hereto.

REASON: To ensure that the development shall be in accordance with the permission and that effective control be maintained.

• Non-compliance with Condition No. 29 of Planning Permission FW18A/0110 which states:

The following requirements shall be met: i) During the construction phase no heavy construction equipment/machinery (to include pneumatic drills, construction vehicles, generators, etc) shall be operated on or adjacent to the construction site before 8.00a.m. or after 7.00p.m., Monday to Friday, and before 8.00 a.m. and after 1.00p.m. on Saturdays. No activities shall take place in site on Sundays or Bank Holidays. No activity, which would reasonably be expected to cause annoyance to residents in the vicinity, shall take place on site between the hours of 7.00p.m. and 8.00a.m. No deliveries of materials, plant or machinery shall take place before 8.00a.m. in the morning or after 7.00p.m. in the evening; unless otherwise agreed in writing with the Planning Authority.

ii) If there is any occasion when work is required to be carried on outside of daytime hours, the Environmental Health Department of Fingal County Council, local residents and businesses in areas which are likely to be affected by noise from the proposed works shall be notified in advance e.g. in letter or leaflet or advertisement form, of: • Name, address and telephone number of company carrying out works • Nature of and reason for works • Likely duration and times of work

iii) To minimise noise from construction operations developers shall have regard to B.S.5228:Part1:1997 'Noise and vibration control on construction and open sites-Code of Practice for basic information and procedures for noise and vibration control'.

iv) During the construction phase, all necessary steps shall be taken to contain dust and airborne pollutants arising from the site and to prevent nuisance to persons in the locality. This shall include a) covering skips, b) covering slack heaps, c) netting of scaffolding, d) regular road and pavement damping and sweeping, e) use of water spray to suppress dust, f) proper paved or hard stand access for trucks and vehicles to and from the site to prevent dirt and dust from the site being carried from the site on to public roads etc.

v) Noise due to normal operation of the proposed development shall not cause a noise nuisance to nearby noise sensitive locations and shall not exceed the background level of 10dB(A) or more or exceed NG4 limits whichever is lesser: - Daytime (7am-7pm) -55dB. - Evening (7pm-11pm) -50dB. - Night-time (11pm-7am) -45dB. (measured from nearest noise sensitive location/s). Clearly audible and impulsive tones at noise sensitive locations during evening and night shall be avoided irrespective of the noise level.

vi) All mechanical services shall be so designed and shall be suitably located so as to prevent nuisance from noise or odours to the residents in close proximity to the premises. Clearly audible and impulsive tones at noise sensitive locations during evening and night shall be avoided irrespective of the noise level.

vii) The development shall be so operated that there will be no emissions of malodours, gas, dust, fumes or other deleterious materials, no noise vibration on site as would give reasonable cause for annoyance to any person in any residence, adjoining unit or public place in the vicinity.

REASON: In the interest of proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Advertisement