Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the CMOS battery

Options
  • 11-11-2023 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭

So for about a year my PC has been doing this weird struggle to boot up, thread here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058270818/pc-struggles-to-boot#latest

After switching on, it looks like she's about to start, but then she'll switch off and will do this a number of times. The other day, it took about 15 minutes of switching on and off until she finally booted properly. That's not a good development and it's the longest it's ever taken.

In any case, I've decided to change the CMOS battery (CR2032) and see if that will cure the problem. The motherboard is about 9 years old and I reckon the CMOS battery might be losing some of its charge and causing the boot loop. The time and date is fine and the BIOS settings are all correct too, so the battery is not completely dead.

Anyway, can I just take out the old battery and replace it? Or do I have to do anything else as well?

I've never done this and generally I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to messing with PC hardware so I'd like to know if there's anything I need to be aware of.

Comments

Advertisement