Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaking standing seam roof

Options
  • 10-11-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello all.

My house had a new standing seam metal roof put on in '07 (year before I moved in). In the great room there is one spot that drips a tiny bit during really bad storms, and has done this since we moved in. It only happens on bad storms though, some years it hasn't leaked at all so I forget about it. This year while doing renovations to the other side of the house during some really bad storms I noticed a little bit of drips coming down from the plastic they used under the fiberglass and running down one of the studs in the knee wall. It's probably leaked the whole time too but behind the knee walls wasn't used. I am renovating the upstairs and turning them all into living space instead of attic space.

I've been up on the roof and there is no obvious damage. I'm no roofer so not sure what's all involved with these roofs but this style looks pretty clear cut. There isn't any fasteners or anything through the roof panels and with no signs of damage I can't understand how this is leaking. Is the leak simply wind-blown rain getting up through the seams somehow? I don't imagine there is a fix for that scenario is there?

Comments

Advertisement