Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashamed of renting

Options
  • 10-11-2023 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hello,

Im 31. I live in Dublin and work 2 jobs around 60 hours a week. Im single and Ive never had any offers or someone Ive met who wanted to change that so it is what it is. I make around 52k a year from the 2 jobs. The bank only considers 40k of this towards a mortgage (main basic income). I rent a small studio by myself as house sharing is for students.

I simply cannot afford to likely ever buy a home in a decent part of Dublin. Im so ashamed and members of my family have been telling me since I was 23 about how renting is nothing but dead money, but I cant get enough to buy near the city centre without years and years of spending the bare minimum income to save 50k+ for a deposit.

So, am I a failure as a renter? I know Irish people tend to look down on non home owners (and even apartment owners). Would the stigma be less if I emigrated and rented abroad instead? Ive never heard an a family member who lived abroad being told their home is mere dead money. I just feel like a loser due to where I live

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

House sharing is for students?

Didn’t you have other threads on this topic?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Your family is the problem here not you. Rent is money for a home it's not dead money.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Do you expect working adults to have to live in shared accommodation with strangers? I did it and was in such a state of depression I lost any will to live. Students share but working adults need their own home

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Why is it such a prevalent attitude in Ireland that renting is not a real home? Im at the age where couples I went to school with are putting up instagrams of champagne bottles and cards gifted to them when they bought a home. I cant even get family to visit mine because its "only renting"

I would love to own, but even with 2 jobs Im not good enough. I just want to be able to have peace and not shame all the time because of my own failings to live up to societies expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,476 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're only 31, that's a bit young to be declaring yourself a failure. How long did it take you to save 50K? That's a good chunk of cash to have put away, so fair play for doing that.

40k salary X 3.5 gives you 140,000 mortgage. with 50k savings gives you 190k. If you spend another few years saving you could set a goal of say buying a place for 230k when you're 35.

You're not going to get a 3 bed in D4 so maybe give up on that dream (did you ever think you were going to end up living somewhere like that in reality?) but you don't need to rent forever if you're willing to have options on location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Time enough for shame when you can't afford the rent.

For now you are paying your way.

Maybe spread your search a bit wider to areas you haven't considered to date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

we are not doing this thread again. Ever. Stop re-registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

By the sounds of it you look down on house sharers ("for students") which suggests that you yourself judge people on the basis of the kind of accommodation they have.

Maybe learn to value people differently, more broadly. Renting sucks in Ireland but you don't need to add to it by harsh snobbery towards yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,993 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why does it have to be near the city centre? If you restrict where you're looking you're going to drastically reduce your options. Also what do you mean by a 'decent' part of Dublin?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Forgot to actually close this

I will close this exact same thread every time you re-create it, across all accounts. You may as well stop.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement