Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood In Plastic Sacks?

Options
  • 10-11-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

What's going on here, lads? My head's wrecked with it!

I have a load of old lumber, stored under plastic sheeting. I pull some out and take it to my shed. There, I chop it to stove lengths on my chop saw. I then put the short lengths into plastic feed sacks.

Now. clearly, as I'm cutting anything from logs to old roof beams, my mind's on what I'm doing. I'm Looking At the wood. Searching for nails and also noticing any visible damp stuff. Usually at the odd end, of course. I have quite a pile of damp off cuts, in my shed. Left to dry out.

What I'm saying is; I Only bag up carefully examined, cut and thoroughly Dry wood, in these dry feed sacks. Which I then stack and drag out as needed. A week or two later, maybe.

And I'm finding sacks Full of wood, wet as sponges! I have a sack full here now. That's why I'm writing this. What on Earth is happening???

It should go without saying that the roof is fine. There's no condensation on any beams, above the sacks. The floor beneath is dry. Is one of you sneaking in with a hose pipe? Thinking; " This'll get the old bastard going! "

This isn't a bit of damp, at the top or bottom. This is wood sopping on the outside and having sucked a fair bit in. And it's all throughout the Now Wet Inside sacks. Worst of all? The sack next door can be fine.

What's going on, please? 😬

Advertisement