Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer contribution to pension

Options
  • 10-11-2023 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Recently hit 40 and wanted to up my pension contribution to 25%.

Stupid question, my employer contributes 50% of my own contribution to PRSA (Up to 9k), so their contribution is 4.5k.

Does this 4.5k count towards the 25% I want to contribute myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Been a while since I sat my pensions exam, but I do believe your employers contribution counts towards the max allowable contributions by age.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

No, they don't count towards your overall total, see screenshot from revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Is that even the case where it's technically not an employer pension scheme though? Rather they are contributing to a PRSA on my behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Until January 2023, Employer contributions to occupational schemes did not contribute to age related limits while employer contributions to PRSAs did count for these limits.

Since January I believe this has changed and now contributions to neither count, in fact an employer can contribute as much they want to your PRSA.

However I am not an expert in this are so perhaps wait for someone with better knowledge or research yourself- just be careful that whatever info you find is from 2023 as the rules changed this year.

Advertisement