Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon 2024

Options
  • 10-11-2023 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing this one next year. I've done Berlin and Amsterdam the last two years so this seems like the obvious next step given that I like to get my marathon training done before the clocks go back! It used to be a fairly popular marathon on here but I haven't seen it mentioned much in recent years. It's supposed to be a fast course and both the entry fee and the price of accommodation are very reasonable. Has anyone done it recently that would have feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Two running mates did it this year and both pb'ed in 2.45 and 2.56. They were happy with it! I did it years ago and didn't do so well. I didn't particularly like the last 5k back around the centre. Quite twisty and you pass very near the finish at one point. As I was near death at that stage I felt it was really cruel. I wouldn't take my experience as anything other than purely anecdotal though. A good few Irish lads and a few Boardsies to boot did quite well that year. 2015 I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I did it in 2017. As said above, the last part in around the city is tough. You run so close to the finish at one point its very annoying. I can't remember how far you still have to go. And a bit of cobble stone in there too.

The year I did it, was the windiest marathon day they had in a while and all the tall buildings made for some strong headwinds.

The actual finish line itself was class though in the arena.

Saying all that, I think I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

I did it a couple of years ago. It’s a very flat course and well organised. Finish is cool.

As you mentioned hotel prices are very low compared to here. I paid about €75 for a good hotel only 1k from the start.

changing facilities and showers are available in the basement of the marathon hq. Very handy if you’re heading to the airport straight after the race.

I would really recommend and I hope to get back there again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Another logistic consideration, frankfurt airport is the main city airport. Frankfurt hahn Airport is 90 mins plus bus trip away.

With frankfurt being on the same day as dublin, it is great to be on the same training schedule as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Thanks for the advice. I've never been but have heard the Hahn horror stories. It'll be definitely be Aer Lingus if I do decide to enter.

Agree about the timing, it's nice to be on a similar schedule to running buddies who are doing Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I have used Hahn a lot and have no horror stories to report. The Bus is not overly pleasant though but not hell. But if a few people are going to the marathon from Ireland then a good option would be to car pool a rented car from the airport to anywhere in the Frankfurt Commuter zone where you could hotel it and park it.

Did Frankfurt 2023 myself and looks like I will be doing 2024 too.

Advertisement